Selling Roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Does anybody buy just roos? They are BLR Wyandottes....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I would imagine if they liked the roo and wanted one for breeding...Yes?

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I'm having a hell of a time rehoming my polish roo, I see roo's for sale on Craigslist all the time so I imagine there's an over abundance of roos.

4. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    I had only one rooster to rehome. I put an ad on Craigslist at about 3am one morning when I couldn't sleep and within a few hours, had a caller. The guy picked him up on his way home from work that afternoon. The taker told me that he was just getting into chickens and needed a rooster to take care of his many hens. Just what my rooster needed as he was too much for my 6 hens. Good luck.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they are young enough, you might get a buyer who is looking for table birds. Although, the majority of Americans would rather buy meat at the market than dress it themselves.

If you want to place them as pets, you will have to work hard at it.

If you want to place them as flock roos, are they excellent quality purebreds? What about them makes them desirable as a sire of next year's chicks?

6. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    They are all BLR Wyandottes from McMurray. What does that say about them? They're all gorgeous, too. I just can not keep all of them. I keep a ratio of 1 roo to 10- 13 chicks. I'll have 6 roos by the end of the season and I'm already concerned with the fighting that may ensue.

7. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I doubt if I will ever buy a roo. I have been given more than a dozen roos since the first of the year and I have another free one coming today. I suppose that the time might come when I am looking for a particular breed of roo. In that case I might be willing to trade one of my pullets, but I don't think I will ever pay cash.

8. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Occasionally you might find somebody who wants young roos to rehome into Freezer Camp.

But -- at least in my part of the country (Tennessee) -- most people who want roos are looking for Cock Fighters.

No cock fighting posts, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
  9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They do I just sold 14. I hatched 30 chicks & 14 were cocks. They were about 2 & a half months old.

10. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    I've a Cuckoo Maran to add to these Wyandottes. He's way to aggressive and he's gotta go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by