Selling Roos?

Depends how patient and picky you are. For me, I have a pen where my extra roosters can go in and be bachelors. Then I have as much time as I need to find them good homes as pets. Otherwise they just hang out in the large pen. That said, I realize not everyone has that option, and I'm a vegetarian/against having my birds used for meat, and also I have almost entirely bantams, so I guess my case is special. I also only breed seramas now, so I usually sell extra birds in pairs to local kids who want birds to show and keep as pets.

If you're willing to wait a while, you can find roosters good homes. With my work, I rehomed 80+ roosters in the last year, all to good homes. However, it does take patience and caution.

All of my surplus roosters go to the swaps and mostly into someone's pot from there. Usually sell them in the $5-6 range though lately they've been selling well enough I'll raise that to $7.

If ever I get a plucker built we'll eat them ourselves.

A.T. Hagan :

All of my surplus roosters go to the swaps and mostly into someone's pot from there. Usually sell them in the $5-6 range though lately they've been selling well enough I'll raise that to $7.

If ever I get a plucker built we'll eat them ourselves.

I got $ 5 & agree I need a plucker.​

I've sold several roos for breeding, wyandottes, polish and jaerhons. I'm sure I was just lucky someone needed that breed at the time. There will always be surplus roos. The math makes it work out that way.
If I don't feel like boiling water and plucking I just skin them and cut out the breasts, wings and legs then slice under the ribs pull out the liver and heart and I'm done pretty quick.

Hi...just wanted to butt in and say I have actually sold Roosters....Production Quality for 10.00. I talk to a lot people from the phillipines at work.There they butcher all the time...they are usually happy to buy a roo for dinner.Of course I don't know enough of them to sell ALL my roos
wink.png
But there are people out there who will buy and butcher it themselves. I just sold a Pekin yesterday to a couple from India who butchered it themselves after they bought it,here. Takes a LOT of talking to people though to find people who like to have their meat fresher and healthier. I also have a woman from Italy who is going to buy 2 Roosters at the end of the month from me....and butcher them herself...

Varies so much by region. Around here, unless it is some very special breeding stock (which rarely ever is seen) they are "free to come getters". Of course, they are headed to the freezer. Since the meat of an average DP roo is kinda, well, average, that's the best one can do. Let some one else bear the expense of feeding them out and allow them to do the work of processing them. Actually getting a few bucks in a "sale" is almost unheard of. Again, YMMV.

I'm in this situation right now. I received 7 "packing peanut" roos with a hatchery order, and I don't know what I'm gonna do with them. They just turned 1 week on Thursday. I want to sell them, but I'm not sure what the market for roos is around here. I've been trying to rehome a mixed rooster for months. These are Barred Rocks, so maybe they'll be easier to find takers for.
idunno.gif

My personal take on it - I think giving 'packing peanuts' a good life (albeit short) being a chicken, playing with his friends, scratching for seeds and bugs, dustbaths in the sun and then a quick humane end - roasted slowly over low heat after however many weeks of organic pasture providing a healthy meal for my family is preferable to disposing of them at birth because they're boys.

I can make a rooster of any age tasty and fairly tender.

I just butchered my nasty roo and would like to find a nice one to replace him with, but pay for it, I don't think so. It's not like I really need one. I am pretty sure I will find a free on on craigslist.

Most flocks already have roos, if the keepers want one, but once in a while a person will want a new one (especially a good one), or someone will look for one for a pet or a breeder. Over all - expect them to be food.

Truthfully, I'm thinking of collecting all the free roos for sale on my local craigslist right now for 'freezer camp' (with disclosure). My family is unemployed along with 1/10 of the state. We could use the food. If we were in a better situation, and had an actual flock of chickens (or bought straight run) I would not have a problem with people eating my extra roosters. Truth be told, the economy is bad. If someone's willing to do the processing work in exchange for a meal or two, I'm not going to begrudge them, you know? (Provided they're honest. I'd probably eat anyone who suggested they eat my pet rooster)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom