Selling roos....

OK..decided to take them to the processor Jan. 3. It is an hour's drive and $3.35 per but since there will be only be about 15 I can wait for them. This way they will have a humane end too.
hmm.png
I do care about them...not their fault to be born/hatched roosters.

Thank you all for helping me decide. Most are under one year old, a couple are older...hope not too tough.

Chickens are never too old to eat. The older birds get cooked by a different method, is all. Lots of good recipes for older birds. Flavor will be amazing. You'll be pleased.

I think you made the right decision if you truly thought they were going to go to someone who would mistreat them. That's not such a bad price for processing. How much do you pay for chicken in the grocery store? (I have no idea since it's been a LONG time since I've gotten it there) The flavor of your home-grown chickens is so much better!

Quote:
If you go to the meat section you will find some links to butchering chickens. When I killed my first one, I had the instructions all printed out. I read a section, did what it said, and then moved on to the next step. I had a nice clean plucked chicken to put in the fridge in no time at all. When I process my CornishX I don't try to do them all at once. I do one, two, or three per day depending on how much time I have and how I feel. Before long, I have an empty pen. I hang them up and use a very sharp utility knife to cut the throat so they will bleed out well. One piece of advice. Don't think about it. Just do it.

Back
Top Bottom