Semi-isolation design for baby chicks

It's ok, it's helped me to become a more rugged person. Yarrrrrr. *flexes muscles*
I have eggs in the other nests, they just really like that one.

When the chicks hatch, the hen will probably want to eat the chick food and drink their water, not leave them behind and go somewhere else. At that point, a cover to keep the other hens out would be a very good idea.

Chick food is fine for chickens of any age to eat, so it won't hurt the hen (and letting the hen and chicks eat the same food as each other can make your life much easier!)

I actually think this will work just fine for a few days. If your goal is to keep the chicks in for 2-3 days and then let them intermingle with the flock, this will do exactly that. After 2-3 days the chicks will jump up/on/over that rail though. My broody didn’t really eat at all for 2-3 days after her hatch so the mama may not even leave. Hopefully she will protect the chicks from the other nosy hens.

As it turns out, the box has discouraged the other hens from going in with Broody and laying their eggs in there. She has some peace. And she gets out every day to eat and drink. So far, I think it's been a win. Let's see what happens Sunday when they start to pip.

As it turns out, the box has discouraged the other hens from going in with Broody and laying their eggs in there. She has some peace. And she gets out every day to eat and drink. So far, I think it's been a win. Let's see what happens Sunday when they start to pip.
Great!
Has she been out and in.....or is she pooping in there?

Great!
Has she been out and in.....or is she pooping in there?
We have a camera on her, she gets up once every morning when the other hens do, and goes out for about 20 minutes, drinks, eats, poops and comes back in for the rest of the day. No poop in the nest, she's a proper broody. She's lost a significant amount of weight, so I am glad it's almost time for the chicks to come out.

So for an update: My broody hen did such a great job being broody, she hatched 5 of the 6 eggs we gave her. My Australorp caught the broodiness from her, so I gave her one of the eggs that was just about to hatch.
I kept the little box in place until the chicks were able to get out of the nest and into the coop floor, then I took it out. Right now, the two momma hens are sitting on the floor, clucking cutely and watching over their little chicks. The other hens come in and go up into the roost and don't bother the babies at all. It's amazing to me, I basically didn't need to do anything but put out chick feeders and waterers for the babies. I guess millions of years of evolution has taken care of all the details. I was worried that the other hens would kill the babies, but they're all one big happy family now!
IMG-7045.jpg

Back
Top Bottom