Semi-new chicken owner in VA :)

Hi Melanie and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

There are good and not so good youtube vids about processing. If you'd like, I can point you to some of the really good ones. There's also a very good one on how to break down the whole bird. And depending on where in VA you are, it might be worth a drive to see it done first hand. That's how I learned.

And depending on where in VA you are, it might be worth a drive to see it done first hand. That's how I learned.

I'd love to see the youtube videos you recommend!

I'm also a person that needs to see it in person, so I've already contacted a couple of local farmers. Hoping to join one of them next time they process a batch!

I'd love to see the youtube videos you recommend!

I'm also a person that needs to see it in person, so I've already contacted a couple of local farmers. Hoping to join one of them next time they process a batch!
How far are you from swope? I spent as much time as I could at Polyface farms watching them process after watching the videos below. I learned a ton with eyes on, and they offered for me to join them, but even today I'm too slow for their pace.

Also checkout the featherman site videos. https://www.feathermanequipment.com/ Also checkout their rental map. There may be someone close to you willing to rent good equipment.

How far are you from swope? I spent as much time as I could at Polyface farms watching them process after watching the videos below. I learned a ton with eyes on, and they offered for me to join them, but even today I'm too slow for their pace.

Also checkout the featherman site videos. https://www.feathermanequipment.com/ Also checkout their rental map. There may be someone close to you willing to rent good equipment.

Thank you! I've heard of Polyface but didn't realize they might be approachable. :) I'll check them out!

Thank you! I've heard of Polyface but didn't realize they might be approachable. :) I'll check them out!
They are way more than approachable... They want to help all of us trying to figure it out. I've met Joel a couple of times, but spent most of my time with sherry. All they want is for us to succeed.

They are way more than approachable... They want to help all of us trying to figure it out. I've met Joel a couple of times, but spent most of my time with sherry. All they want is for us to succeed.

That's awesome. I emailed and they said I could help them process chickens! Excited. :)

Does anyone here raise heritage chickens for meat? If so, I'm curious what everyone's breed preferences are.

Back
Top Bottom