Semi new to Chicken Keeping

Jwpond

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
Southwest Missouri
Hi everyone! I started keeping chickens about 15 months ago, and I've been learning ever since. My hubby built me a chicken coop that I love, and I have 6 full grown egg layers; a blue red laced Wyandotte, a Jubilee Orpington, a Cinnamon Queen, a Wellsummer, a grey Easter Egger, and a Silver Laced Polish. I also have 6 juvenile Ameraucana chickens, one of which may be a dude, but I'm not sure yet. I live in Southwest Missouri on a little 10 acre hobby farm we bought a year ago. Up until a year and a half ago, we were suburbanites who decided we wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle. Now we're busier than ever with a small starter flock of hair sheep (Katahdins), two 9 week old calves that we got from a dairy farm when they were 2 days old and bottle fed them (just weaned them), and of course our chickens that more or less have free range privileges in the chicken yard, and now our back yard. They are all good girls and are well behaved, well, mostly. This website is what got us excited about getting and keeping chickens, so a big thank you! My coop is not extravagant, but it checks all the boxes. I'll post a picture soon.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Don't worry, coops are not supposed to be works of art, IMO. As long as it works for you and your chickens - perfect!

BYC has a sister site called Backyard Herds that you may wish to drop by and take a look at (see brown bit at bottom of page).

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us! How old are your juvies? If you have some photos we may be able to help you confirm/deny whether you have a little dude in your midst...

Back
Top Bottom