Send Me Trapping Vibes!

Quote:
I've heard about using logs and whatnot, but our coop is located in our horse pasture. So there is a good chance a decent sized animal could drag an anchor, at least through our 5 acre horse pasture..

-Kim

The main purpose in the drag is to not give them leverage to pull out of the trap which can be done fairly easily. Haveing multiple traps will serve the same purpose as they will hold the critter so it can't move and get that leverage.

Quote:
Ya'll are getting me worried! Your almost making me wish he doesn't show up tonight, but tomorrow night instead!

-Kim

Quote:
I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad one..

I wouldn't mind him not coming back, but then again, I wouldn't have the satisfaction of "knowing" he's gone for good.

-Kim

Well, ya'll scared me enough so I got dressed, jumped in the truck and went to fix the trap. There wasn't many "anchors" readily available. I thought a whole cinderblock might be too heavy for a raccoon or fox, but a red brick wouldn't be enough(I would never see my brick or trap again. LOL)

So, I decided to use a large plastic dog crate. Sounds crazy? I figured since the "thing" would have to go under our horse fence or through the local woods, he wouldn't get very far with such a big bulky thing on the other side of the chain. I also figured, that the dog crate was light enough to serve as an effective "buffer" to keep the "thing" from getting the appropiate leverage to free itself.

Well, what do you think? Better, than anchored to the barn, right?

-Kim

I hate dragging them too.

fl.gif
Hope it works. I also hope he doesn't take off with my dog kennel! Those things come in sooo handy!

-Kim

I am unsure of trap size but I am willing to bet you have anasty Fox or a very small coyote. Good luck getting it.

Sorry you lost you mottled babies.

I'm suspecting a fox as well. We had one last year in fall that took 4/6 of our sexlink hens. We shot the male and hadn't seen the female again. So I am guessing she is back to "avenge" her hubby.

The trap was untouched last night. I am missing 15-20 1-3 month olds(from the first attack), so I am guessing "she" is feeding on her caches right now.
somad.gif
Let her come back, I'm waiting.

(No, I am not applying human characteristics to animals, not seriously anyway.
tongue.png
)

-Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom