Sensless destruction

akb77

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
West-Central Ohio
Last Tuesday morning I got up to get the kids on the bus and start my morning chores and prepare my meaties to go to butcher later that morning. Next thing I know I have my youngest son come tearing into the house saying that our dog was bloody and not moving. My first thought was he had a scuffle with a coon through the night. My husband and I go out to him and he was paralyzed from the neck down and was bleeding from an open wound on the head. Then I look over and see all 25 of my meaties dead. Some of them bloody and tore open, some just lying in a heap. They were in a tractor that had 2x3 welded wire fencing layered with chicken wire. Whatever it was just ripped the fencing like it was fabric. Once it got into the meaties it just broke their necks, never ate any of them. I later learned that the local 911 dispatch office received several calls that same night of 2 pitt bulls running loose and terrorizing other dogs. The pitt bulls were never caught, but I know whose they are...but I can't prove that it was those dogs who killed our birds and dog.

My question is how can I increase the security of my tractor? Those dogs just pulled the 3/4" staples out like nothing or even broke the welded areas of the fence. Should I sandwich the fencing between the wood framing?

Thanks in advance!
~Annette~

Quote: Use "cattle panels" instead of 2 X 3 wire, OR use 4 X 4 "field fence" which will be a much heavier gauge.

Were your "staples" actual FENCE staples, or did you use a staple gun?

They were fence staples. I know enough to not use a staple gun for securing fencing, lol!! I think I will use your advice and use cattle panels. Thanks!

Sorry for your loss, hope they catch the loose dogs. X 2 on the cattle panel or no climb type fence. You might also consider adding electric fencing in a situation like this where you have large stray dogs roaming around.

So sorry for your losses. I beefed up my coop security with electric fencing and a pair of trail cameras. I also put all the birds away in the coop at night. So far, the electric fencing has kept all predators out of the coop and run, and the trail cameras keep watch in case something does happen, I will know what it is, and have proof of it. I really hope you are able to deal with whatever did this.

Thank you, all. My meaties were in an enclosed tractor. I move this tractor daily so shot of a long extension cord, I'm not sure how I could use the electric fence...although the idea has crossed my mind. The tractor they were in is a Salatin type, so they stay in it 24/7.

The pitt-bulls came back last night and tried to kill our new dog. I heard them come past the window and I hollered at my husband who grabbed the shot gun. He got one but the other took off. This morning he went out and there sat the other by his truck. He grabed his gun again and got it. Two less predetors we will have to worry about. I feel bad that someone's dogs were killed, but darn-it, these two dogs killed my meaties and my dog, and then came back to try to kill our new dog... Something had to be done.

it's very terrible when dogs like this have to be put down - but i'm with you 100%. no other choice. next time it could have been one of your children. dogs that run like that are very dangerous & won't stop voluntarily.
sure sorry about your dog and your meaties. awful

So sorry about the loss of your dog and birds again, and that you had to take on the responsibility of dealing with dogs belonging to an idiot irresponsible owner. You will find that pretty much 100% of the people on this board are with you so far as what you have to do to protect yourself, you family, and your animals from predatory dogs like that.

What horrific carnage, your husband did the right thing. You got a new dog but, I bet the idiots with the pit bulls will also. It just doesn't stop. So sorry for you and what your young son had to see.

Back
Top Bottom