separate breeds hatching together--how to keep them straight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kansaseq, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    So I know it's bad to open the bator while the hatch is going on, but how am I going to keep the EE and EEx BO straight when they are all running around together in the bator?? I know, kinda late in the game to be pondering this question.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    if you crack the side of the bator open a little and slip a piece of cardboard in there you should be fine

3. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Ummm........I'm not sure how that helps me keep the chicks straight?

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    some people toe punch them or put zip ties on their leg. I have even seen people mark them with a marker. We toe punch and keep records.

guess I misunderstoodthe question, we put the eggs in seperate trays. When we had the small bator we would make dividers or use the dividers that come in the canning jar box, just cut it down a bit. You could also get another small incubator.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I open my bator all the time during hatch, just add hot water and it will bring the humidity back up. You can use colored wire ties to keep them marked, just pay attention as they grow to make sure they don't get too tight......good luck [​IMG]

6. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Those would work well. But since I'm not supposed to open the bator until ALL the eggs are hatched, what can I do? They are all going to look more or less alike. What do most people do (aside from thinking ahead)

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Mrs. Turbo :

some people toe punch them or put zip ties on their leg. I have even seen people mark them with a marker. We toe punch and keep records.

does it seem to bother them? it just seems like the best way to do it and I already have a chart (don't have a punch yet)........​

8. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thanks KLF! I think I can do that!

9. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:does it seem to bother them? it just seems like the best way to do it and I already have a chart (don't have a punch yet)........

It doesn't seem to bother them, but I am sure it hurts a little. We have dividers in our hatcher and toe punch them as they come out. So two years down the road we can pick up a chicken and know what line it came from. Really helps with call duck breeding.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    ouch how mean [​IMG]
    "here little newborn chickie let me mutilate you so I can keep better records" [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by