separate breeds hatching together--how to keep them straight

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
So I know it's bad to open the bator while the hatch is going on, but how am I going to keep the EE and EEx BO straight when they are all running around together in the bator?? I know, kinda late in the game to be pondering this question.
hmm.png

Last edited:
some people toe punch them or put zip ties on their leg. I have even seen people mark them with a marker. We toe punch and keep records.

guess I misunderstoodthe question, we put the eggs in seperate trays. When we had the small bator we would make dividers or use the dividers that come in the canning jar box, just cut it down a bit. You could also get another small incubator.

Last edited:
I open my bator all the time during hatch, just add hot water and it will bring the humidity back up. You can use colored wire ties to keep them marked, just pay attention as they grow to make sure they don't get too tight......good luck
thumbsup.gif

Those would work well. But since I'm not supposed to open the bator until ALL the eggs are hatched, what can I do? They are all going to look more or less alike. What do most people do (aside from thinking ahead)

Mrs. Turbo :

some people toe punch them or put zip ties on their leg. I have even seen people mark them with a marker. We toe punch and keep records.

does it seem to bother them? it just seems like the best way to do it and I already have a chart (don't have a punch yet)........​

Quote:
does it seem to bother them? it just seems like the best way to do it and I already have a chart (don't have a punch yet)........

It doesn't seem to bother them, but I am sure it hurts a little. We have dividers in our hatcher and toe punch them as they come out. So two years down the road we can pick up a chicken and know what line it came from. Really helps with call duck breeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom