1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

separate "coops" for roosts and nesting? anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennifer0224, Jan 10, 2016.

1. jennifer0224

jennifer0224 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    [​IMG]
    Hello,

I built this 4 x 6 coop last year for my 6 chicks. I'd like to get 3 more chicks in the Spring (but no more, per the city), but i feel their coop will be too crowded. I was thinking, one solution would be to build a smaller, raised coop next to this one for nesting boxes and feed, and turning this current one into, just roosts. Does anyome have experience with a design like this? Do you think it would work for the hens? I cant really think of a way to expand the current one, enough, and still be able to clean it easily since it is not a walk in. Attached is a picture.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Your hens won't read the memo and will all gravitate to one coop.

3. jennifer0224

jennifer0224 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    That is what i thouht when considering building another full coop, which is why i thought of this plan - having only the nesting boxes in one and only the roosts in another? One building for sleeping, one for eating and laying?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If what you have works for your current birds, I'd just plan on building a new coop for the new birds. They'll likely be two separate flocks anyway, so sleeping and laying in different areas will come pretty naturally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by