1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Separate roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by celticmomma, Apr 11, 2012.

1. celticmomma

celticmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Western MA
    I have a total of 12 chicks. 6 are straight run columbian rocks, and 3 are "pullets" and three are "red pullets" (TSC didn't give me more info on their breed than that...) Well, the last about 48 hours, two of the columbian rocks who have slightly longer combs (i think? The one on their beak) than the other four have been hopping around in circles flapping their wings at eachother and sometimes trying to peck each other's necks. They are scaring the poo out of the other 10 who hide in the opposite corner when they are at it. Right now their brooder is a 4' X 2' X 2' cardboard box with chicken wire over the top. It still isn't warm enough to move them outside, and their coop is on the edge of the woods about 100 yards or so from the house, so I would be worried about predators.

They don't seem to be really hurting each other yet, just scaring the others mostly. But I don't want to wait until someone gets hurt to do something. If they have a bigger area will the little fights stop, or is it because it is such a small flock? Or maybe they will just never get along. They Columbian Rocks are about 6 weeks old, while the pullets are about 3 and a half weeks.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Little chicks do play like that. If there's no blood, and no feathers being pulled out, then they'll be fine.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quite normal. They're sorting out the pecking order.

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I have eight and they started feather pulling at around three and a half weeks due to inadequate space. Our brooder was 3x2x2, and we doubled it to 6x2x2 and now they are fine. Since you have four more than I do, I would be on the look out for feather pulling to start, and have a plan in case it's not warm enough to move them outside yet.

Just my two cents :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by