separate runs for different chickens?

Chickens hate change, so if you let them free range all the time, they will complain if you keep them in the run, for a while, then that is the normal, and if you let them out, it is a big scary world out there, and they are leary of getting far away from the coop. The more often you let them out, the farther they will roam, to a point. Some breeds are more adventurous than others, some birds are more adventurous than others.

If you have predators, they will get some of your birds, if you let them out, even the full size birds. UGH! and they always seem to pick your favorite, !@$%#^%$^. I know.

What I do is open the gate, they can go into the coop or into the run when mine free range. Some tend to go out, and within a little while, they are back in the set up. Some go in and out all day long, and some go out, and stay out till late afternoon, where they head back well before dark.

Mrs K

Good points, Mrs. K. No matter what you do with them, a few are not going to be satisfied. <sigh> Some will quiver over too much freedom, others will walk out on a football field and start whining that it's not enough space. Still some with hang right by the doors, saying, "It looks lovely, really, but I like it right here. Silly chickens! And they will all find ways to express their satisfaction loudly and clearly.
lau.gif

Good points, Mrs. K. No matter what you do with them, a few are not going to be satisfied. <sigh> Some will quiver over too much freedom, others will walk out on a football field and start whining that it's not enough space. Still some with hang right by the doors, saying, "It looks lovely, really, but I like it right here. Silly chickens! And they will all find ways to express their satisfaction loudly and clearly.
lau.gif
gig.gif

I am not very experienced but I have found I have needed separate pens depending on group dynamics and breeds.
My older layer flock (most have now gone to freezer camp including the rooster) were very aggressive to chicks and pullets so I needed to keep young ones separate until about 4 months old. Although I now have a mama and her 2 month old chick happy with the drastically reduced flock, I was not sure about mixing another new mama and her little band of chicks and was going to try.... but then dry pox hit my flock so I have separated the new mama further a field and hope for the best with predators, this dreadful pox has me using several different runs to try and keep it from spreading and allow healing time.
I tried to add a mixed group of chicks I hand raised (a variety of 'meaty' birds - though half look like layers to me!!)....that just drove the layer flock nuts as the chicks blocked the laying boxes, coop door and crowded the food troughs....so I keep them separate and alternate free ranging periods.

But I would love to get to a point in a few months where they can all be integrated, sooooo much easier, then the extra pens/runs can just be for breeding or hospice occasions.

Oh, Blooie, the things we do for our grandkids. Would I do Silkies for mine? Probably if it became an issue, but I would not bring up the topic.

I’ve never had Silkies but growing up on a farm Dad had a few bantams in with the full-sized chickens for a while. The size difference never was an issue. They did not suit him so he never set their eggs to hatch. They eventually died out. It’s hard to feed five kids off of one bantam.

The key to chickens getting along, either during integration or just living together, I that they have plenty of room. From what I’ve read here, I think you’ll be OK. Good luck!

well i keep my birds apart from each other by breed right now, i have two types bantam silkies and leghorns, i keep them in the same coop but wire between them do to size differences i want them separated for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom