Separate the bully or the bullied?

I had her separated with another for a couple of days but as soon as I put her back with the others she started in on boots again. She doesn't pick on any of the others and none of the other chicks behave this way. I separated her again last night, this time by herself. They're in two separate brooders right next to each other so they can still see each other. She cried for a little bit but has since calmed down with the exception of the occasional loud chirping session. I'm really hoping this works, otherwise I'll have to rehome her. She's so young I hate to separate her
sad.png
thank you for your help.
I hope it works, too!

Technically the bully is supposed to be out of view and sight of the others, but with a partly grown chick, that's rough. If this doesn't work, you might have to do that (with a stuffed animal?), or rehome.

I tried reintroducing her this morning and she started pecking at the others too. Some of them stuck up for themselves but I isolated her again, this time in a separate room. She's got a good amount of adult feathers but I'm not sure if I can leave her that far from the heat lamp overnight.

I tried reintroducing her this morning and she started pecking at the others too. Some of them stuck up for themselves but I isolated her again, this time in a separate room. She's got a good amount of adult feathers but I'm not sure if I can leave her that far from the heat lamp overnight.
How old are they now? I'd think that if she's inside the house, she'll be OK. You could also put a stuffed animal in with her to snuggle with.

I'd say between 5 and 6 weeks. When we got them they were a little older, the farm store said about 2 weeks but I'm not sure of the exact age. I did some research and took a close look at the bully's soon to be waddle and I think I may have a rooster on my hands!

I'd say between 5 and 6 weeks. When we got them they were a little older, the farm store said about 2 weeks but I'm not sure of the exact age. I did some research and took a close look at the bully's soon to be waddle and I think I may have a rooster on my hands!
And at about the age that they can tolerate normal room temps w/o a heat lamp.

But a Roo? That might explain a few things; although not a very hen friendly one so far, if that's what he/she turns out to be.

Unfortunately out here it still goes down to the low 30s at night and only 60 at the highest during the day and my house is barely insulated so the room temps aren't really normal :(

Unfortunately out here it still goes down to the low 30s at night and only 60 at the highest during the day and my house is barely insulated so the room temps aren't really normal
sad.png
Then you might need a heat lamp for this one, even a 60w bulb should be enough. 60f is ok, but 30f for a 5 week chick by itself is a bit rough.

Hello, I'm new to keeping chickens. I recently got two barred rocks and a week later got two browns. The browns immediately took over the coop and one is excessively bullying one of the rocks to a point where she must have been pecked in the eye and is unable to keep it open. At night, the browns will go into the coop first and the brown one will stand guard not allowing the rocks in unless I distract her. Then she goes right back to pecking at the one rock. The other rock tries to stand in between and it appears that she is trying to protect the other however I need the behaviour to stop. The second brown only recently also is showing signs of aggressiveness towards the rocks. Should I remove both the browns from the coop? Put them together or separate? Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to keeping chickens. I recently got two barred rocks and a week later got two browns. The browns immediately took over the coop and one is excessively bullying one of the rocks to a point where she must have been pecked in the eye and is unable to keep it open. At night, the browns will go into the coop first and the brown one will stand guard not allowing the rocks in unless I distract her. Then she goes right back to pecking at the one rock. The other rock tries to stand in between and it appears that she is trying to protect the other however I need the behaviour to stop. The second brown only recently also is showing signs of aggressiveness towards the rocks. Should I remove both the browns from the coop? Put them together or separate? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to BYC!

Chickens are highly territorial....integration of new birds can be challenging to manage.
Here's some tips and links.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Thanks aart. I just separated the one brown that seems like the biggest bully. The rocks immediately felt comfortable eating at the feeder with the other brown one and I did not observe any pecking. I will monitor them for the remainder of the day and if it remains tranquil I will observe how the entry into the coop goes tonight. If that goes well I will keep the separated brown away for a couple of weeks and try to reintroduce at that time hoping that it knocks her down a few on the order. Learning as I go. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom