Separated an Injured Hen from Flock, Lonely, About to Get Chicks

Jun 6, 2017
I have a good-sized flock of layers with a few cockerels for protection since they are pastured. The flock was all hatched on the same day so they're all the same age, and the males' adolescence has been tough on the girls. Their techniques with the ladies could use some help, I'm hoping they improve with time. One of my gold-laced wyandottes was injured in a mating chase a few weeks ago. I happened to be feeding and watering the flock when it happened and saw that she couldn't stand up afterwards and seemed to be in shock. Immediately I separated her from the flock and have kept her in a crate inside our building since then. She perked up that night after a while and eventually I decided she had a broken toe. She couldn't put weight on the foot and I could see what looked like a bone break in one of the toes. She has a personal fan (LOL, no need for her to be uncomfortable) and is kept indoors in low light, with a door being kept open so she can see and hear the outdoors. She laid an egg after 2 days in there but hasn't laid one since. (Which I am fine with, we are not hurting for eggs.) For the first week I limited her activity because she kept trying to stand and walk on that foot, but clearly wasn't able to and I didn't want her to hurt herself any more.

Since then whenever I have worked in the building or in the yard and could leave the dogs in the house I have opened her crate and let her do as she wishes. She usually forages some, does a little scratching and digging, mostly just sits and enjoys being outside. She's able to stand and can distribute her weight evenly between the 2 feet, her gait is a slow and tentative one but it's only been a few weeks so maybe that isn't bad. She definitely isn't ready to be re-introduced to the flock yet, she needs to be able to walk better first before putting the crate with the flock to get used to each other again.

She's 7 months old now, as are all of that flock. She isn't broody, which is good, but I do worry about her being lonely. At first we had some of the excess cockerels nearby in a "bull pen" so she could hear them and not feel isolated, but in preparation for a new batch of broiler chicks we got rid of those extras so she currently doesn't have chickens anywhere near the building. The broiler chicks will be arriving this week and they will be kept in a tractor of their own in the same building she is in, actually right next to where she is crated.

My first question is if I should consider putting her in the tractor with the chicks? I don't need her to raise them, I will care for them just like I've cared for our previous batches of chicks, but would it ease her loneliness at being separated from her flock? She isn't showing signs of mourning the separation-- she is eating, drinking, she talks to me-- but she has to miss her peeps. She would have more room to walk around in the tractor with them (as opposed to the crate she is in right now, which lets her stand but she can only take a few steps in) and maybe having the chicks around would help her work on her gait?

She was injured Aug 1st so I'm also starting to wonder if she hurt something else, maybe in her hip?, since she is so tentative in her walk. To be fair she hasn't had a lot of opportunity to practice since she has been crated, but in the times when I've let her loose to roam she mostly sits anyway. A bit of scratching and digging and foraging, but mostly sitting. 2nd question: Is it too soon for her gait to be better than the slow shuffle it is?

As I've typed this I've started to think that I could just give her her own tractor until the broiler chicks need it after a week or 2. That way she would have plenty of room to practice walking and yet be protected from anything she could otherwise get into inside the building. Once the chicks are big enough that they need to be divided between multiple tractors, hopefully she will have improved and can start being put near her flock, with the goal being re-integration. 3rd question: If she gets her own tractor, is there a better medium to put on the floor than pine shavings? It seems like that uneven of a walking surface might be too difficult with a recently broken toe and needing to work on her walk.

I'm attaching a pic of her. :) She's a sweet girl. I spent a lot of time with the flock from day 1 when they arrived as 1-day old chicks so they are used to me but the gold-laced wyandottes (there are 5 of them) tended to be stand-offish from the beginning. Now she wants to sit on my lap, which is what she did after I sat down to take this picture.
pic-hen.jpg

Oh! She’s pretty!
Have you considered splinting the toe, maybe with a customized padded popsicle stick and some vet wrap extended up to and including the ankle for support?

If you’ve ever broken a toe you know they are so darn painful and it always seems that it’s almost healed and then you WHACK THE HECK OUT OF IT, vacuuming or doing something similarly non-essential!

I wouldn’t recommend putting her in with brand new chicks even if she’s sweet. Disaster may be in your cards there.

An option of putting her in the tractor as her very own Physical therapy studio might be on the right track, especially if you could pick a nice friend for her out of the flock to keep her company!

I'd put her in something(crate-tractor) so that the flock is around her 24/7.
Adding a 'friendly' bird(or two) from the flock is a very good idea,
long enough so they can bond and return to the flock together.
Might be good to add these friends out of sight of the flock for a few days first.

Thank you for the suggestions. She has been separated from her flock since Aug 1st, when she was injured. If I put one of her flockmates in with her now, will it be like introducing a new chicken?

::smack my forehead:: D'oh! I have indeed broken a toe but never splinted it so it never occurred to me to splint hers! Is it too late now that it's been 3 weeks?

I'm clearing out some space in the building to move another tractor (not the brooder with the chicks) inside for her to use so she can practice walking. The building has a concrete floor. Would it be better to let her walk on the concrete, or to give her pine shavings and let her try to walk on them? For the broken toe I am leaning towards concrete, no shavings, and I'll have to scour the concrete after she goes back to the flock in order to get the poop off. I would probably give her a nest with shavings so she can lay on that, if she chooses, inside the tractor. Maybe a dish tub so the shavings would be contained? And of course I would put a nest in the tractor as well for her friend.

I'd put her in something(crate-tractor) so that the flock is around her 24/7.
Adding a 'friendly' bird(or two) from the flock is a very good idea,
long enough so they can bond and return to the flock together.
Might be good to add these friends out of sight of the flock for a few days first.

Great suggestion! Normally I don't have empty tractors so she and I are fortunate that now there is an empty one she can use. That would be a great, safe way to reintroduce her to the flock.

If I give her 2 sisters (they may not literally be sisters but there are 4 other gold-laced wyandottes in the flock of 50+ hens), is there a risk that they would gang up on her, 2 against 1?

If you think it would help, I could put all 5 gold-laced wyandottes back together so that reintroduction to the big flock (about 55 hens, 6 roosters) would be safer.

Great suggestion! Normally I don't have empty tractors so she and I are fortunate that now there is an empty one she can use. That would be a great, safe way to reintroduce her to the flock.

If I give her 2 sisters (they may not literally be sisters but there are 4 other gold-laced wyandottes in the flock of 50+ hens), is there a risk that they would gang up on her, 2 against 1?

If you think it would help, I could put all 5 gold-laced wyandottes back together so that reintroduction to the big flock (about 55 hens, 6 roosters) would be safer.
I would start by adding one bird to her enclosure...see how it goes.
How many to add total may depend on size of enclosure.

i would also keep a sharp eye on those roosters and if one is particularly rough with the girls, i would do something about him.
what is your hen to rooster ratio?

Sorry for the delayed response, for some reason I didn't get an email letting me know about your post. We had too many males at the time she was injured and her being injured lit a fire under me to cut the number of roosters; we now have 55 hens and 6 roosters and everyone is much happier. Admittedly we still have 1 rooster too many for the 10:1 ratio but it is working for them right now. The remaining roosters are the gentlest of them. The sole purpose for the roos is protecting the females.

I'm happy to report that the injured hen is doing so well that I think she is ready to be re-integrated with the flock. Once I get the shade cloth put back on a recently sanitized tractor she will be put in it in the same enclosed (electric fence that is moved regularly to fresh grass) area as her flock so they can all get used to each other again but no one can touch her. Her tentativeness in walking is about gone. My husband tried to catch her last night to put her up so he could let our dogs out on a potty break and he said he had to get the net. He said, "There isn't anything wrong with her stride when she is in a hurry!" LOL Usually I'm the one who picks her up and she doesn't run from me so I hadn't seen that. :)

Now I think the frequent sitting when she is free-ranging (not crated) is because she is by herself and realizes she is vulnerable. I'd been concerned it was because of an inability to walk well. So, as much as I will miss my one-on-one time with her and her talkativeness, I'll be glad to see her happily rejoin her flock and back among them after she is accepted back. The flock is pretty calm, overall. There can be some pecks between the ladies in the flock occasionally but since they grew up together and established their pecking order early, it wasn't bad. Hopefully they will so calmly accept her back among them now after a while of "look but no touch". ::fingers crossed and I'll be watching closely::

Admittedly we still have 1 rooster too many for the 10:1 ratio but it is working for them right now.
I wouldn't worry much about those numbers.......
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Back
Top Bottom