Separated my bobwhite and I have watering and caging questions.

TheJadeChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Saline County, Arkansas, US
Okay, so I separated my little Bobwhite from the 3 naked necks. Gave him a clean feeder and waterer.

What are some ways to give him Electrolytes?

Can I give him ACV with the "mother" in his water?

What is a good sized cage for a single quail? And a trio of quail?

Okay, so I separated my little Bobwhite from the 3 naked necks. Gave him a clean feeder and waterer.

What are some ways to give him Electrolytes? You can add them to the water. But do not over do them. They can upset the digestion. If the bird is getting a good diet, there is no need for too many electrolytes, especially during the winter when little salts are lost in the body.

Can I give him ACV with the "mother" in his water? Yes you can. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Offer it up only a few times a week for maintenance.

What is a good sized cage for a single quail? And a trio of quail? A rabbit hutch of 2'x4' is a good size for a few quail. Do not keep Bobs in trio's. They are kept in pairs and mate for life. A pair may harm a lone female.

Okay thank you!

But what how does one give electrolytes? Like Sav-A-Chick, or something?

I am curious just in case, I am trying my best to keep him healthy. To avoid need to do any "medical" wise on him. :)

If you have him on a good diet, electrolytes are not needed. Electrolytes are mainly water with salts and sugars added. You could offer up veggies and fruits to him and get the same effect. Quail love greens, quartered apples and peaches, peas, corn on the cob, dried fruits and nuts, etc...

However if you wish to add them to the water and have some sort of powdered mixture, you will need to read the directions. I have never used Sav a chick. I have heard Pedialyte works well. But I have never used it.

If you have him on a good diet, electrolytes are not needed. Electrolytes are mainly water with salts and sugars added. You could offer up veggies and fruits to him and get the same effect. Quail love greens, quartered apples and peaches, peas, corn on the cob, dried fruits and nuts, etc...

However if you wish to add them to the water and have some sort of powdered mixture, you will need to read the directions. I have never used Sav a chick. I have heard Pedialyte works well. But I have never used it.
Okay thank you. I was just curious. He is pretty happy and healthy. So I don't see myself using any in the near future. :)

Back
Top Bottom