Separating and reintroducing ducks with chickens

Mar 22, 2019
Hello!
So short back story, I recently purchased 4 chicks (2 white California's, and 2 black Sex Link) and 2 ducklings (Pekins).
So far they have been together for about a week, and they've done amazing together. However my fiance and I made the decision to separate them. The Pekins seemed to be getting too warm (panting, and moving as far from the heat lamp at possible), and they also got everything wet and messy. To the point where the chicks were getting wet bedding stuck to their bellies!
My question, when I put them all outside in their coop, will reintroducing them be hard?
Also, can I just keep the heat lamp off of the ducks altogether? They are almost 2 weeks old. Our house is pretty warm to begin with. We keep the heat on at least 70°F until summer( I do NOT like being cold lol). On top of that, the room that they're in is a little warmer than the rest of the house since we've put the heat lamp in there, I don't think they'll get too cold?
Sorry if this all over the place! I appreciate any help though!

Best thing to do is set up your second brooder and see how the ducklings do with out heat . If they are real snuggled up together maybe uncomfortable. If they are laying away from each other relaxed they are probably okay. Pekins over heat easily.. when you get ready to move them all out make two separate areas in your pen and coop so they can see each other it may only take a few days for everyone to get use to each other or it may take longer depends on breeds. A large dog kennel inside your pen would work

Best thing to do is set up your second brooder and see how the ducklings do with out heat . If they are real snuggled up together maybe uncomfortable. If they are laying away from each other relaxed they are probably okay. Pekins over heat easily.. when you get ready to move them all out make two separate areas in your pen and coop so they can see each other it may only take a few days for everyone to get use to each other or it may take longer depends on breeds. A large dog kennel inside your pen would work
Thank you!
They seem to be doing great! Just laying around, by each other but not snuggled up like they're cold.

The chickies, in their new brooder (they did not like when I pulled my phone out! Lol)
And the ducks in the old, but still great, brooder ❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20190327_174826.jpg
    IMG_20190327_174826.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190327_175014.jpg
    IMG_20190327_175014.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom