Separating bantams?

EEforMe

Crowing
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Washington, USA (near Seattle)
This year we bought eight chicks from My Pet Chicken, we bought for 4 bantams and 4 full-sized. We lost one of the bantams to failure to thrive the day they arrived. Now we have seven, the bantams are: one black frizzled Cochin bantam, one bantam polish, and one 100% silked white EE. Silkie and polish can’t see the best and the frizzle…well…isn’t the brightest. My idea is I could try and integrate those three with my blind hen, Blink. Here is the link to more info on Blink:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-story-of-blind-blink-❤️-the-story-of-the-three-raccoons.1494923/
Doing this would mean separating best brood-mate friends and makes me sad but if it’s for their safety and to give Blink some more company then I’ll do it. The other thing is that since they are bantams and there’s so few of them it would be permanent. I probably couldn’t put three little bantams in a flock of 11 full sized hens and “hope for the best” if things went wrong with Blink, could I? The other thing is do you even think they would get along with a blind chicken? I don’t think they could hurt her because they’re so tiny but if it would make them all sad I won’t do it. I also don’t want to separate the brood-mates because you know how sweet they are together. So, the question: should I try and separate my little guys and make a “defenseless flock” with my blind girl? Thanks if you read this far!

Last edited:
This year we bought eight chicks from My Pet Chicken, we bought for 4 bantams and 4 full-sized. We lost one of the bantams to failure to thrive the day they arrived. Now we have seven, the bantams are: one black frizzled Cochin bantam, one bantam polish, and one 100% silked white EE. Silkie and polish can’t see the best and the frizzle…well…isn’t the brightest. My idea is I could try and integrate those three with my blind hen, Blink. Here is the link to more info on Blink:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-story-of-blind-blink-❤️-the-story-of-the-three-raccoons.1494923/
Doing this would mean separating best brood-mate friends and makes me sad but if it’s for their safety and to give Blink some more company then I’ll do it. The other thing is that since they are bantams and there’s so few of them it would be permanent. I probably couldn’t put three little bantams in a flock of 11 full sized hens and “hope for the best” if things went wrong with Blink, could I? The other thing is do you even think they would get along with a blind chicken? I don’t think they could hurt her because they’re so tiny but if it would make them all sad I won’t do it. I also don’t want to separate the brood-mates because you know how sweet they are together. So, the question: should I try and separate my little guys and make a “defenseless flock” with my blind girl? Thanks if you read this far!
Bantam hens can go in standard flocks, no problem. Either way, things could go great or go awful

Back
Top Bottom