Separating feed for mixed age flock

manukannijoy

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Need help. We have some pullets and layers in our flock of 13 (specifically 4 that are laying and 9 that aren't). We have them separated by a wire mesh right now and are in different coops. We want to join the runs but we were wondering how to separate the feeds since we are giving grower to the pullets and layer feed to the layers, or does it even matter? Thanks in advance.

welcome-byc.gif

Give grower or all flock to everyone. Offer oyster shell to the layers as they desire.

That's what many of us do who keep mixed age/gender flocks. Layer feed has it's place, but it's for all hens that are of laying age who don't get a lot of treats or free range.

You (and several others) say to offer a side of oyster shells for the laying hens. But, if they're all together, how do you keep the pullets out of the oyster shell? Will they just sample it and go away? Or do I need to be concerned if the dish of shells is out in the open?

You (and several others) say to offer a side of oyster shells for the laying hens. But, if they're all together, how do you keep the pullets out of the oyster shell? Will they just sample it and go away? Or do I need to be concerned if the dish of shells is out in the open?

Birds that don't need the extra calcium will simply sample the oyster and mostly ignore it, they won't consume it unless they need it as they are very in tune with their bodies calcium needs... Chickens can literally process consumed calcium and have it ready for creating an egg within minutes, so they are able to eat it on demand and this on demand calcium intake is where most of the eggs calcium actually comes from as they have very limited ability to store calcium in their bones, as is dictated by 'bird' design to keep the bones lighter for flight ability...

On the other hand when it's mixed into their food like it is for layer feed, they have no choice but to eat it and can't bypass eating it...

I really appreciate such a complete, informative answer to my question! Thank you so much for taking the time to send it! Now I can quit worrying about the younger ones developing kidney problems later in life!

Back
Top Bottom