Separating Guinea pairs

CY57

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
I have 2 pair of free ranging Guineas that do come home at night. 1 of the males, Royal Purple is definitely dominant and all of my keets so far have been Royal Purple. Both of the hens are Coral Blue. I would like to try to get some Keets from the Opaline / Coral Blue pair. IF I can separate the 2 pair and lock the pair in the coop, will they be too stressed to mate and lay eggs? Suggestions? Thank you.

I have 2 pair of free ranging Guineas that do come home at night. 1 of the males, Royal Purple is definitely dominant and all of my keets so far have been Royal Purple. Both of the hens are Coral Blue. I would like to try to get some Keets from the Opaline / Coral Blue pair. IF I can separate the 2 pair and lock the pair in the coop, will they be too stressed to mate and lay eggs? Suggestions? Thank you.
If you shut a pair of them in a small dark coop, you may end up with nothing. The male needs the daylight hours in order to keep up his fertility just like the hen needs the daylight hours to trigger her laying eggs. They also don't do well in small confined areas. If you had an enclosed run that connected to the coop, you would have a better chance of success.

Would It maybe work to separate the DOMINATE pair instead and let the blue pair roam free?
That could work if you are not concerned about getting eggs from the dominant pair. Of course they will need to be separated at least two weeks before you can feel confident that her eggs are ones that have been fertilized by the submissive male.

If you shut a pair of them in a small dark coop, you may end up with nothing. The male needs the daylight hours in order to keep up his fertility just like the hen needs the daylight hours to trigger her laying eggs. They also don't do well in small confined areas. If you had an enclosed run that connected to the coop, you would have a better chance of success.
Thank you for replying. The coop has a small run with it and perches, etc. We an have nasty winter weather here and the 4 will stay in the coop by choice. We are planning on building a 8 x 12 run to attach. I was concerned with the confinement and also if the hen would mate with the less dominant male. The only reason I was thinking of confining that pairis she is the broody hen and he stays very close to the coop while she sets.

Back
Top Bottom