Separating hen

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
I have a hen that I think got frostbite on her feet. I want to keep her isolated so shes not trying to walk. I have a pet carrier, but I'm afraid she would poop and then lay in it and walk in it. Would that be okay?

I made a thread about it, no one replied after I put up pictures (Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-bumblefoot.1295148/#post-21065654 ). I don't have recent ones, just ones from 2 days ago but I can probably get more. At the time I did soak her feet in warm water, but that was just to wash them off because I didn't know it was frostbite. When no one replied I went ahead and let her back with the others because she was walking okay so I figured it would heal on it's own. But today she is frequently just sitting on the ground, and when she does walk she is limping.

You may want to make a chicken sling for her to get her off her feet. Some chickens will not stay in them, so use your judgement. Repeat the warm Epsom salts soaks to her feet for 20 minutes every day. A disinfectant like Vetericyn, 2%chlorhexidene, or betadine iodine is good to put on the feet after they dry. Do not rub or massage her legs. It may take a couple of weeks to see how much damage is done, because the feet may change color, swell or peel. Do not break any blisters.

Back
Top Bottom