Separating hens and chicks during the day?

I think it's a wonderful new experience to watch how Mom and babies interact. This is an exciting learning opportunity for you to learn more about broody/chick behavior:)
It is really fun. The funniest thing for me is that the other hens start creeping on the babies. They sidle up and start making cute little brrs to the chicks through the wire, and then start trying to bro down with the mama hen. I assume they're like creeps offering candy to kids. Like "hey little chick, I can be your new mommy". Glad i put them in an small enclosed chicken coop i had haha

It is really fun. The funniest thing for me is that the other hens start creeping on the babies. They sidle up and start making cute little brrs to the chicks through the wire, and then start trying to bro down with the mama hen. I assume they're like creeps offering candy to kids. Like "hey little chick, I can be your new mommy". Glad i put them in an small enclosed chicken coop i had haha
too funny :lau

I have baby chicks with mamma's, yesterday the door that separates the hens from the main group got pushed open. the momma took the baby's out for some grass, then led them right back to the small coop. She will protect the chicks from other hens as well.
I like to keep them separate so I can feed pellets to the main group and chick starter to the baby's.

We have 4 chicks that are a week old.( see other thread) They are locked up with mum during the day but roost with the other chickens and rooster at night.Roo and hens are up top overnight and mummy and chicks beneath in the nesting area.So far so good.:)

Back
Top Bottom