Separating hens from roosters

KenK67

Chirping
Dec 5, 2022
Missouri
My chicks have attained their 3 week hatchhday. The brooder they are currently in is becoming a little packed (17 hatched). Received several ideas as to moving them into their coop however, won't be ready for another week and a half. The outside temperatures are starting to decrease dramatically. I'm juggling with two options: 1) Place them in a dog crate brooder/growing pen for the room and to transport them easier for their "slow acclimating" to the coop and 2) separate the hens from the roosters in 2 separate dog crates for future rehoming of the cockerels and room as well. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
My chicks have attained their 3 week birthday. The brooder they are currently in is becoming a little packed (17 hatched). Received several ideas as to moving them into their coop however, won't be ready for another week and a half. The outside temperatures are starting to decrease dramatically. I'm juggling with two options: 1) Place them in a dog crate brooder/growing pen for the room and to transport them easier for their "slow acclimating" to the coop and 2) separate the hens from the roosters in 2 separate dog crates for future rehoming of the cockerels and room as well. Thank you in advance!!
i say number 2
also you might want to ask whos a male hows a female
birthday.
*hatchday*

If you are definitely going to rehome the boys later and can tell the difference it doesn't matter. Do what is most convenient for you. If you cannot tell the difference in sex or you might keep one or some boys keep them together.
That response right there limits some confusion on my part! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom