Separating Males

Yeah, I doubt you'll be able to tell anything about how he treats the hens by putting him in a pen with all males. Following instinct in that case means fighting. Following instinct with the girls means firmly breeding but never being mean or aggressive about it or leaving injuries. You kind of want both in the same bird! I would leave the biggest in with the females and see how he does.

I disagree a little about not being able to tell personality at the 8 week mark (and also about them barely being worth butchering! That's mah main meat supply yo! :p), as I haven't really had any make drastic roundabouts in personality past the 2-3 month mark, but it's certainly possible.

All good points. I'm mainly trying to avoid leaving them all together too long and risking serious injury/death as they hit sexual maturity...it also seems like most people don't notice too much of a difference in weight by butchering before 8-9 weeks old. I like the idea of leaving the largest in to see how he does...I suppose I could swap him out with another one if there are issues.

All good points. I'm mainly trying to avoid leaving them all together too long and risking serious injury/death as they hit sexual maturity...it also seems like most people don't notice too much of a difference in weight by butchering before 8-9 weeks old. I like the idea of leaving the largest in to see how he does...I suppose I could swap him out with another one if there are issues.

I think that's probably your best bet! Especially if you're trying to avoid injury. Every time I've attempted a bachelor pen the gentlest male has come away really really badly picked on. Male on male injuries (or female on female for that matter! They get cranky sometimes) are usually much worse than breeding injuries.

I think that's probably your best bet! Especially if you're trying to avoid injury. Every time I've attempted a bachelor pen the gentlest male has come away really really badly picked on. Male on male injuries (or female on female for that matter! They get cranky sometimes) are usually much worse than breeding injuries.

Thanks, @CoturnixComplex, you've been a huge help yet again! Definitely won't be trying to keep the extra males; they will be butchered (whether my husband likes it or not; he's grown a soft spot for all eight of them). Is 6 weeks old ok to start this experiment?

I will say, @FunOnABun , people think I'm crazy but I really like a good fatty 12-14 wk roo too, so you could wait some amount longer. Only problem is keeping them happy that long!

I don't think I have the space/resources/patience to wait that long...as it is with only 3, they may go to my dogs instead of on the grill. Eventually I think I would like to have stacked hutches to rotate birds in/out and process quite a few more for meat, but I'm starting small to make sure this hobby is for me. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom