separating over-mated hens

Thanks for asking! The girls seem happy enough though there are some that hang at the fence that separates them from Bert when he "pitches woo", lol. I am worried about Bert and wonder if this is cruel to do to him. He's crowing a lot more than usual, will sometimes pace the fence and will still try to tidbit the girls when I give him treats even though they're in their side of the run. I still feel that I need to give the girls a break and let them heal before putting them back together..."the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"...Right? If he wasn't such a nice rooster he'd be gone but now I wish I'd done more research before getting a rooster. I had no idea they were so rough on the hens during mating and my poor girls look awful.
Yes, it’s rough when there’s no good solution.
I am in a similar situation - roo is 4 now and seems to be getting worse each year. The hens are getting older, too, and the ones that can’t get away from him are starting to have bare spots. I had to separate one because she was bleeding from a bare spot from overmounting and another that was getting her vent pecked raw. He is causing more stress to the flock than helping at this point, trying to keep the girls away from me, and attacking me and all that. But he is handsome, I, too, really like to hear a rooster crow (unless it’s right in my ears) , he does tid bit for the hens and I imagine he is good at watching over them when out (though we also have a dog for that) and I just have a hard time wrapping my head around getting rid of him. I have done it before, with my first roo who was agressive to me at a young age- took him to the feed store to sell...
I have a feeling this one will go the same route - I am just not quite there yet...

Yes, it’s rough when there’s no good solution.
I am in a similar situation - roo is 4 now and seems to be getting worse each year. The hens are getting older, too, and the ones that can’t get away from him are starting to have bare spots. I had to separate one because she was bleeding from a bare spot from overmounting and another that was getting her vent pecked raw. He is causing more stress to the flock than helping at this point, trying to keep the girls away from me, and attacking me and all that. But he is handsome, I, too, really like to hear a rooster crow (unless it’s right in my ears) , he does tid bit for the hens and I imagine he is good at watching over them when out (though we also have a dog for that) and I just have a hard time wrapping my head around getting rid of him. I have done it before, with my first roo who was agressive to me at a young age- took him to the feed store to sell...
I have a feeling this one will go the same route - I am just not quite there yet...
I feel for you, it's not easy.

Back
Top Bottom