1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Separating Quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DaletheQuail, Nov 17, 2013.

1. DaletheQuail

DaletheQuail New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Hello Everyone

I have 3 button quails (one male and two females) that are about 2 months old at the moment. Recently the male has started becoming very aggressive with the two females and we are seeing the typical balding head problem that a lot of people seem to have when they start mating. I have read a lot of the other posts both here and on other sites and most people say that you need to have more females for each male (about 4-6), however I have no way of getting more quails any time soon and the problem are getting worse as I can see lots of dried blood on the back of one females head.
    So I have 2 questions to ask.
    Firstly, is there anything that can be done to allow the three of them to live calmly together without them hurting each other? And secondly, if I take the male out and give them all some time to heal up, will I be able to but the male back in with them after a few days, or will I have to keep them separated forever?

Thanks in advance for the help!

- DaletheQuail

2. TheBirdMan5

TheBirdMan5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    try to separate them for a a few days or a week then put them back together if that doesn't work keep them separated until you get more females. from Jay in MA

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Button quail need to be kept in pairs only. As for this aggressive male, make sure to keep them on a high protein diet, give them plenty of space and offer up hidey places for egg laying and basic hiding. It helps to keep birds calm with fake foliage in their environment.

However sometimes you just have an aggressive bird and no matter what you do, they stay this way. If he does not behave with some changes to his environment, you may need to separate him completely. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by