Separating the roos from the pullets, I need advice, please!!

DonnaBelle

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2009
McIntosh County, OK
My RIR chicks are 7 weeks old today. I have about an equal number of hens and roos. I also have 3 adult RIR hens and a big adult Amaracauna rooster, at least I think he's that breed, he was given to me. He does have light green legs. He is a great rooster, sweet to me, and very protective of his ladies.

I have a large chicken house 12' x 24' with a wire panel and door that separates it into 2 chicken areas. So at the present time, I have 4 chickens on one side with their own outside run, and 56 chickens on the other side, also with their own outside run.

My question is: when should I put the little roos by themselves and move the little hens in with the big rooster and his three hens?

I am hoping someone here can give me some advice about handling this situation. This is my first (chicken) rodeo.

DonnaBelle

Hi Donna, I don't have any experience introducing new chickens, but I noticed you hadn't had an answer so I'm giving you a bump.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'd be reluctant to bring them into contact with the adults until double their current age. You do have a large number of newcomers, but the elder birds are prone to be hard on them. They may single out a weakling at this stage and work it over. Having 'seen' each other for awhile is not the same as being in physical contact. The little 'uns need some size on them before you thrust them all together.

But, you can put the little roos by themselves anytime you want.

Last edited:
Hello Dona, I just like to mention that they still need thier starter growr feed till they are at least 18 weeks old so don,t mix them at themoment with the other group or they will share thier feed.

Back
Top Bottom