1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

separation anxiety....mine!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by they'reHISchickens, Dec 27, 2010.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I didn't want to do it, but I don't think we have a choice. Our wonderful splash orp "Splash" [ creative?] has been looking worse and worse after molting and being a favorite hen etc etc etc. Bare back,sparse wings, broken feathers, no tail, despite BOSS supplements she is a real mess from what was once a beautiful bird. We had noticed she was roosting somewhat separate from the others on the roost but thought nothing of it. But it's getting colder and colder and then there is frostbite. So last night with howling winds and minus wind chills, I go in the coop and put a chicken coat on her after dark.
    Well, this morning I find our girl off the roost and cowering in the corner. When she left it, our other blue orp hen... her BFF!!... went after her. Poor Splash! I thought it was the roos, nooo.. it's a catfight!
    So I scooped her up and put her in a separate small coop in the same yard. She huddled into a strawfilled nest and snuggled in. I don't like it, but she seems content. There is food including BOSS, water, a big window to look out, and peace and quiet.
    This is a good hen, good mama, good layer. What's our chances of her recovering and rejoining the flock of orps eventually? I don't need that coop for breeding until February.
    Argh... chickens!!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Is it just the one hen picking on her? If so, i would separate the meanie, not the victim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by