Separation for broody ducks with hatching eggs

TrustJesus

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2016
I have 2 Khaki Campbell ducks that went broody within a week of each other. Their eggs are mixed cause they are right next to each other and of course they are nesting right next to the door where they can easily be trample by the other ducks going in and out. (We have a drake and 7 other females) so I figured it might be a good idea to move the eggs and moms now that they are starting to hatch (one peeped through the outer shell this morning.) I have a large dog kennel and figured if we put fresh straw in it and moved the eggs carefully to keep there same position that maybe this would have a better outcome than leaving them in the messy coop where they can get trampled. My only concern is the possibility of moms quitting if we move them? Do you think they would do that given that they can now hear the peeping of the ducklings in the eggs?

I would hesitate to move them. I have never been able to move duck hens without them breaking broodiness. Once the ducklings are hatched, it is very likely that both hens will leave the remaining eggs. Do you have an incubator to hatch the second clutch?

I would hesitate to move them. I have never been able to move duck hens without them breaking broodiness. Once the ducklings are hatched, it is very likely that both hens will leave the remaining eggs. Do you have an incubator to hatch the second clutch?
No, I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom