Seperate thread - Frustrated with my roo Thor!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, May 16, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Due to his declining health, we will soon have to put my wonderful roo Thor down. Should have been done by now to tell the truth.

Anyhow, I have been trying to be extra kind to him lately, though I have never been unkind to him.

Thor's favorite food in the whole world is figs; blackberries are a close second. Thor won't be here when our fig tree ripens its fruit in late July, so the other day I paid $3.69 a pound to buy him some imported figs at the store.

Brought them home and waited until I could find Thor alone, without the hens all around him. He's been sitting in the shade in the chicken yard alot lately. Took a few figs out to him. Thor immediately started calling his girls. He didn't eat a single fig. I'd hand him one, he'd give it to a hen; again and again. Tried again later in the day with the same result.

Yesterday I took a walk on the farm to a place where there's some blackberries ripened early. I discovered them last week when chasing a cow. It's not a big bush, but enough for me to enjoy a few and to share with Thor. Yesterday afternoon again Thor's sitting in the shade. I dropped what I was doing and ran in the house to get him some blackberries, closing the kitchen door quietly so the hens wouldn't notice me coming and going. Offered them to Thor, again with the treat clucking. The hens came running and gobbled em up. I waited awhile for the girls to wander off and then tried again. Only this time I carried Thor off aways. That dang rooster clucked anyways, for a good 15 minutes, until the hens heard him and came running.

He just won't let me be nice to him! [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    That's really sweet!

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    have you tried rooster booster to make him hungry?

How old is Thor??? Cranberry sauce and also tumeric an cinnamon in his feed can clean up his system... I have birds live to be 12 years young... and holding... Just thought I would ask.. you sound so kind...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Awww! He is going to be a good boy til the end. [​IMG]

You are making him happy by letting him keep the girls happy. [​IMG]

5. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Oh my goodness, what a gentleman he is! [​IMG]

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

What a good roo! It's amazing how much character and dedication some animals have. I hope his health improves so you can have him around longer.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He still checks out the fig tree every day, like always. Like he's always done from the time it starts getting leaves in the spring. It stands just outside the coop door so he goes to it and looks up first thing each morning. I tell him, no Thor. Not yet.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Good ol' Thor. What a sweetheart. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by