Seperated my Blue Cochin Roo from the flock, how to manage not to?

elbertchick

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Tonight I saw my he/she jump my SLW they are 19 weeks old. My cochin is a standard Blue roo and is getting very big and he is so pretty. He has not crowed yet, I think I am seeing saddle feathers coming in, not so much on the hackles yet. He has shiney black feathers. I sold two of his brothers at auction a month ago but he is just now starting roo behavior. I am not breeding. So my question is he hasn't been mean and I felt so bad putting him in a cage by himself, If I were to keep him and don't want the mating and feather pulling that goes with it what do I do? He looked so sad, he hasn't crowed yet and is doing what roosters do. Not his fault. Do you keep a roo by himself? Do I let him free range with the girls? I have 15 chicks his age and 5 EE a month younger who he does not seem to like in his meadow. No one is squatting yet or laying yet. I was going to try to bring the EEs in the coop at night, but he didn't like them in the daylight and I am not sure if he would hurt them in the morning when he saw them or if he would think they were part of the flock. If you keep a roo does he just mate a few chicks or.....as you see I know nothing and need more info. I know I can take him to the auction but if I knew more on what people do who are not breeders and keep roos ...well maybe I could keep him. I love all my chicks so it is hard,I have a border collie who protects the flock and he is included and is not agressive to her when she rounds them if we are going somewhere. They free range unless we are not home. I am asking the experts to help me make up my mind by giving what ever information they can to manage my little flock. I noticed in the first line I said I noted he was trying to mate the slw he has also gone after my GLW and a little Splash Cochin. When he went after the EEs in the meadow I told him no and he did listen for a moment .... so I just don't know please help, and thank you so much for any help you offer.

I really don't see the harm in letting him mate with some of the girls. You won't be able to tell fertile eggs from unfertile ones without knowing exactly what to look for and they won't develop unless they are kept at around 100 degrees night at day for a week. All that stuff about cracking an egg and seeing a developing chick is either hogwash, or someone wasn't checking for eggs very well.

People do keep roos by themselves but in view of the rest of the flock sometimes but usually not permanently. That would be one sad chicken.

Thank you for answering my post. I went out and gave him treats and fresh water when I got home. The girls were gathered around his cage, 3x4 dog crate...so I pulled up my chair and fed them some corn out of the garden, they really liked that!When I get off work friday I think I will try it again and keep in mind what you have said. I agree about not keeping him seperated for ever, that would be so lonely. Thanks again , Suzanne

I would let him out of his "prison" and let him roam with your girls. Eating fertile eggs won't hurt you, they don't taste amy different, and plus he will protect your flock, a little.
smile.png

I don't see any harm in keeping him. He sounds like a real gentleman.

I have around 30 roosters at the moment, some are running with my 50-65 hens....others are too small to do anything. I love my boys! I vote keep him!
thumbsup.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom