sept 11, 2001

caspernc

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Z town NC
Been watching the lead up to the day. It has been more graphic than I thought it would be. Brings up fresh feeling the catch in my chest. Didn't think it would be like this. Where were you? I was talking to my sister, who is in VA and has a BIL who lived close to the pentagon. Very intense.
hide.gif

I was working until midnight the night before at a company across from a marine base. All was quiet when I left there, very peaceful. I woke up late on the 11th and the chaos had been going on for a while, but people still didn't know exactly what was going on until much later. The first thing I heard about was that there was a plane crash and they didn't know who was on board or where they were heading. I thought it happened in my town, at first.

I was on my way to the VA for a Dr. appointment...when I got there the second plane had hit the towers and the Pentagon had been hit...it was eerie walking into the hospital with all the old vets...you could have heard a pin drop...they all knew it was terrorism and a war and they had all been there before...

I honestly forget. I never knew the importance of 9/11 until 2 or so years ago.

I was off that day, and slept a little late. When I woke up, one of the other guys I lived with at the time said "There's been an explosion at one of the twin towers." I immediately thought back to the bombing attempt a few years back, and wondered why they were rehashing that again (this was before I had my coffee). Then I sat down and was transfixed. I knew there was nothing I could do, but I just couldn't leave. I felt like every time I blinked and didn't see what was happening, I stopped believing it -- never would I have thought that could happen. I was watching as the second plane hit.

As I said, I was off from work that day. At that time, I was working at a restaurant on Long Island at Roosevelt Field Mall. I went into work the next day and found out that the staff went outside and invited the guests to join them, when the second tower fell. They held hands and sang the national anthem, had a moment of silence, and went back inside. One of my coworkers lost her boyfriend in the tragedy (a lot of people lived in that area but worked in Manhattan). Every year since then, on whatever social networking site I happened to be using (Friendster, then Myspace, then Facebook), I'd post this video from Budweiser. I don't know what it is, but scenes with animals that seem to show understanding (yes, I know it was training for the commercial) get me every time, and I still tear up when I see this. Something about the animals somehow knowing that something is wrong, and doing what they can to comfort people.....

Before I moved here, but after 9/11, I was working in Manhattan. The subway I'd ride to work (the E) used to go to the towers, and I'd often think about the people I never got to see on the train because they are gone now.

i was at home when they broke in the news, just stunned, called my parents in california and they were up there in years, and the heartbreak in their voices- dad was airforce, mom a marines daughter- they knew what this meant- and i can still hear their voices in tears- my grandsons birthday is the 12th, and my daughter said all his life he will remember the attacks as a precursor to his birthday- he was 4 that year, his brother a year younger played for the longest time with airplanes crashing into buildings... i still get emotional about it... thanks for asking us to share

This has to be a time of rememberance, like the hollicost, you can never forget. We can not redo history and we will if we forget.

Back
Top Bottom