September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Wow exciting day! I've got chicks!!! I have 3 so far. And many more pips. I think the first one is blue, here she is. My first thought was wow are they usually soooo small but of course they have to fit in an egg. I forget.

Awww... Yes that is a very normal sized,healthy looking fluffy butt! Congrats my dear.
1f603.png

Update on my batch of guinea eggs. Culled what I thought were bad eggs out of the group today. I made only only mistake and opened a good one. Feel terrible but at least I know there are really some good ones that might hatch. All the other culls were either bad or just deposited. I wanted to take out the new ones and just leave ones that were clearly developed. I've marked them all now so I can start collecting the new ones for the frig. Weird how they keep laying in the same nest while the hen is sitting there. Funny. The hen has been off the nest this afternoon probably because it's just so stinking hot here. Hope she continues when they go up this evening. Praying for rain and cooler weather. Cool being A relative term. It's 101 right now so anything south of 95 would be good.

dray, sounds like you have some babies on the way!   NN's? 

'Pears that way. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm hoping to give my hand at vent sexing these. Going to try to keep about 45 pullets and maybe a couple of cockerels, as backups.

Well I culled the unhatched this afternoon, getting a fan put in my hatcher (it's still air) and the fridge 'bator went great! Should have any wrinkles ironed out before I set five doz or so on the 9th. I have two yard eggs (mixed breed) that need to go into lockdown tonight. Looking forward to the following few hatches in the next weeks: 7 Bresse next week, 2 doz Bresse and 14 Swedish Blue Isbar the following. Should be a good month, I hope!

Ok one of the duck eggs exploded, I found the stinker ugh... And in the brinsea I think they dried out... This dang humidity thing. I am going candle the rest tomorrow wish me luck!

Ugh hate to update. I have no business with any of this. I peeled only like 3 chips and zero membrane but still blood flowed! I just put it back. I am down to two who appeared stuck and maybe 5 that shouldn't have gone into lockdown and I knew but was uncertain since the shells were so dark. Also I got a zebra yellow chick. What?! That's Craigslist for you. They are blue and BCMs

Ok one of the duck eggs exploded, I found the stinker ugh... And in the brinsea I think they dried out... This dang humidity thing. I am going candle the rest tomorrow wish me luck!

Omg so many ups and downs for you and everyone. It's a roller coaster everyone!

Ugh hate to update. I have no business with any of this. I peeled only like 3 chips and zero membrane but still blood flowed! I just put it back. I am down to two who appeared stuck and maybe 5 that shouldn't have gone into lockdown and I knew but was uncertain since the shells were so dark. Also I got a zebra yellow chick. What?! That's Craigslist for you. They are blue and BCMs

Sorry to hear about that. Helping eggs can be difficult. I'm only now sort of getting the hang of it, after tons of problems in the past.

Best of luck!

AND I candled my Ayam Cemani eggs and 11 eggs of the 15 look like this(pic)!!! Whoohoo!!!

Those are the awesome black chickens! I love those!

So, I'm restarting setting 10 shipped Serama eggs because the others just didn't develop other than the two & they eventually just stopped. I would have been lock down today & watching them for the next 2 days but I set 10 new Friday. Hoping these will survive with me in charge!
fl.gif

Last edited:
HELP ME PLEASE!!! Ok I know I'm in the wrong thread but you are my friends and y'all are so so intelligent and knowledgeable. I just noticed that my black australorp,Wilson(who is raising three chicks),has an eye issue. Her right eye is swollen shut. And all around it is super swollen. I gently,with clean hands,opened the lid to see if her eye was actually gone,or still in there. Thankfully,it is inside and looks good. But when I opened it,a bit of clear liquid and puss is in there. Also I saw like a pus blob? Idk if it's actually something else that causing her irritation. Or if this is the result of an infection. I believe she's also got a bit of pus coming from her nostrils. It's dry but yellow. This is all recent!!!!! Help me help her! And protect the flock. I've got an antibiotic on hand labeled:Oxytetracycline HCI. Soluable powder. I've also got some penicillin capsules. For human use. I have a feed store very close if I need to get anything else. Opens tomorrow. Should I try a warm compress too? To help soothe,relieve pain,discomfort and itching??? Oh if I'd just stop typing and send this thing I'd get some awesome help and stop being a worry wart mama!!!!!! Oh God please protect my baby.

Back
Top Bottom