September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Update on my 7 marans eggs.....candled yesterday-day 4-six of them looked fertile. Number 4 was iffy. I'll check again today since I was a bit early. Couldn't stand it any longer. This is my first batch of chickens to incubate so I'm kind of excited. I've been successful with several batches of guineas this summer so hoping the chickens work out.

Nice. It's so hard to see inside those Marans eggs, especially as they get big. I can't see anything going into lockdown.

LL

So cute..going to post a fluffy photo?
pop.gif
I have two spotted babies out side now. So cute, one of them has two different places on the little tail with black on it too.

Last edited:
Nice. It's so hard to see inside those Marans eggs, especially as they get big. I can't see anything going into lockdown.

Remember, Marans usually take the full 20 days to incubate, especially if they are on the big side. Some folks will actually take something to sand down the egg shell a bit right at lock down to help make the shell easier to pip, around the air cell and dropping part of air cell, they get pretty hard.

I'm not sure how they died. We went to the grow out pen the other morning and both of them and barred rock chick were all dead. Huddle-trampled maybe? It's just started to get chilly at night but I didn't think 50s and upper 40s would be too much for them. (I'm in central MN)

I have been trying not to candle eggs. Sometimes I do it around day 10-12 if I need room in an incubator, sometimes I do right before lockdown but not always. I've had only one rotten egg and thankfully it broke when I popped it open to do the unhatcheds' egg-dectomies. My grandpa used to hatch and raise chicks and it was his advice. I've had better results so far.

Oh, and the mint green egg hatched a little bit ago. Solid yellow chick, so likely Ameracauna than Isbar.

Last edited:
Well the egg that piped first last night is still not out
1f612.png
. You guys remember the bator that was unplugged for like 12 hours? Had one of the olive eggers hatch while we were at the fair and another is piped!! Althougher have 3 piped (that I can see. One I feel like is piped on the underside of the egg) and one out. I feel so blessed!!

I'm not sure how they died. We went to the grow out pen the other morning and both of them and barred rock chick were all dead. Huddle-trampled maybe? It's just started to get chilly at night but I didn't think 50s and upper 40s would be too much for them. (I'm in central MN)

I have been trying not to candle eggs. Sometimes I do it around day 10-12 if I need room in an incubator, sometimes I do right before lockdown but not always. I've had only one rotten egg and thankfully it broke when I popped it open to do the unhatcheds' egg-dectomies. My grandpa used to hatch and raise chicks and it was his advice. I've had better results so far.

Oh, and the mint green egg hatched a little bit ago. Solid yellow chick, so likely Ameracauna than Isbar.
How old were the chicks? Until they are completely feathered in, they need a heat source to keep them warm. They wouldn't be able to handle 40* temps until at least 8 weeks old.

Well the egg that piped first last night is still not out
1f612.png
. You guys remember the bator that was unplugged for like 12 hours? Had one of the olive eggers hatch while we were at the fair and another is piped!! Althougher have 3 piped (that I can see. One I feel like is piped on the underside of the egg) and one out. I feel so blessed!!

Awesome!

They were 13, going on 14 weeks. I don't put them outside until they're feathered because I'm too paranoid. The grow out pen is going to get a heat lamp this month, I think it's a given up here.

I'm a southern girl (NC) so I'm not used to the chilly nights myself yet lol!

Last edited:
Little Dude drying off. He loved the microwave heat pad I held him on.

Little Dude with his younger sibling, Santos, a Silver Duckwing mix with feathered feet.

Santos before he was completely dry.

They were 13, going on 14 weeks. I don't put them outside until they're feathered because I'm too paranoid. The grow out pen is going to get a heat lamp this month, I think it's a given up here.

I'm a southern girl (NC) so I'm not used to the chilly nights myself yet lol!
Then I would think they would be too old/big to be trampled. And they should have been fine at those temps. I've had 8 week old chicks outside in an unheated coop during 36* nights without any problems at all. Very strange. I would suspect some sort of illness.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom