September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I'm thinking on getting one of those next year before I start with a spring hatch. My DH thinks its too expensive so I'll probably use my birthday money to get one - our agreement is that our birthday money from my mother can be spent however we want. No discussions necessary. I'm thinking its much better all the way around - less energy, less fire danger, less heat in the house and the birds will sleep!
I think I bought one from Hayneedle. They had a 10% coupon and free shipping. It was worth the investment for peace of mind.

Wooohoooo hello from baby Ayam #2

AWESOME. Congrats!

For her first hatch it is a smooth ride so far 11 have hatched and 4 are alive in the egg so happy out of 16 on 1 died I think I know I originally said 19 counted incorrectly
Also I am confused all the eggs are purebred Plymouth Rockeggs so why are there white chicks could there be a chance that the barred have hatched white Plymouth rocks please help as I am curious

She looks like such a good mother!
smile.png

celebrate.gif
YAY!!!
celebrate.gif

Woke up with 2 quail chicks already hatched! They must be males, they both have been incessantly peeping all morning.

And just now I witnessed the first duckling kick its way out of the shell! WooHoo!!

So, far a great morning. The last quail chick (for this set) can be heard tapping away at the shell. Three more ducklings are still working away at their eggs too. So exciting! Tomorrow I lockdown two chicken eggs for Saturday! Yay! Everything is awesome! (Sorry, the kids love the Lego movie and that phrase gets stuck in your head. lol!) (Pictures will come later.)

So awesome! Watching them hatch is so amazing!

I have one of these and it was the best investment I could have made, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I have been hatching out various colors of Marans all summer here all from imported eggs and have only lost a couple out of all my hatches. There egg shell can be harder for them to break so the hatch can take a bit longer than other breeds but apart from the 2 who had problems touch wood the others have all been fine. My last 3 hatched a few days back and I have one egg that's still not hatched so I'm giving it one more day.

I have just treated all my young birds including the chicks with Coxoid due to taking in some chicks to help a friend who's broody decided she'd had enough of brooding at 48 hrs after hatching and began attacking all her chicks. 2 of these died and had bloody poop and the vet gave me some Coxoid treatment for them and told me to treat all the chicks n young birds. They finish the treatment at the weekend. I hope your remaining Maran chicks all thrive.

Thanks for the info. the three remaining look good, but i think i'll go ahead and give the coccidiostat just in case.

I'm done with the Marans hatching, but I still have some guinea eggs left that MIGHT be good, so I'm rejoining the hatch along for them. haven't decided how long to give them, but some passed their water float test yesterday, so I'm still hopeful. I have no idea when those eggs were laid.

Thanks for that.  I have another marans chick sick this morning.  Can't walk, blood in the poop.  Don't think he'll make it.  Makes me think I'm not cut out for this hatching stuff because it makes me so sad when I lose them.  My guineas have been so hardy that I think I'm spoiled.  So I have three hopefully healthy chicks and now two keets! 

I discovered that you can tell the females from the male cuckoo marans.  The darker chicks with the "smudgy" dot on the head are females and the lighter colored with a more distinct dot on the head are the males.  This morning's sick chick is one of the males and the other one I lost was a female.  So not a very good outcome for my 6 fertile eggs.

Anyone have any ideas on what was wrong with my chicks?  And are marans harder to hatch than other breeds?  I just hatched these because my friends at church had them available so perhaps I should choose differently next time?

I just hatched out 18 Marans. They all seem fine, even the one that fell in ice cold water. I have hatched them twice and so far they seem pretty hardy. I keep them outside with no heat. I think yours could be sick. I feed mine medicated chick starter the first small bag then switch to lay crumble. I'm no expert I just do that for economical reasons. I'm sorry for your loss.
Oh and good tip on the gender I'm going to check that out. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. the three remaining look good, but i think i'll go ahead and give the coccidiostat just in case.

Hope it helps out, I have to say that from the chicks who came in with it no more have died since starting the treatment and none of my other birds have either so hopefully its all got sorted out and they will all grow on well and healthy.

The vet suggested I also treat my whole flock for it just to make sure no one else was carrying anything as I have 45 birds. I have a split flock so am doing half at a time so that I can use the eggs from one half as there is a 28 day egg withdrawal.

So, the one lone Serama egg is still in shell. It's 19 days was up yesterday but he's still in there. I can see from the light through the top that there's still movement in the egg but no pips...aarrrggg, he's slow...:(

Upside down air cell malposition duckling hatched!! It was an assisted hatch, but she is out and doing well!! (Yes, I sex my ducklings. 1 male and 1 female so far for this set.)

The last quail egg is silent and motionless. I am not sure how much longer I will give it to try and hatch, but I think it may already be gone.

Two more duck eggs still pipped and trying to hatch. It is a lengthy process. Should hopefully have two more ducklings some time tomorrow evening, maybe sooner or maybe later.

Candling the chicken eggs tonight and locking down. WooHoo!

Back
Top Bottom