September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Still waiting for my remaining eggs to pip
fl.gif

My little september babies have grown so much!

At first the tiny trio could fit in a basket in my room.

Now they are old enough to forage in the grass. Little Sigh (a rooster, so no longer Little Sis) is on the left and Little Dude is on the right

Little Dude is by far the largest of the group and has this awesome black spot on his leg

Little Sigh is showing his pyle coloration

Santos is right now snuggling with me, letting me pet his/her tiny crest and being so gentle and sweet while we watch foot-ball. He is the sweetest little bird ever, tucked under my sweater against the cold. Outside it is very cold, rainy and windy and the poor guys don't know how to react.

Santos again

Little Dude showing off that rooster comb of his

I'm trying to find the trio a home, but its sort of hard with two, potentially three, roosters.

Did a prescreen on the sex of the chicks from my September hatch. I'm not making any final decisions in them until next week on a for sure basis. They will be there webs old on Thursday the 8th.

44 chicks left. 17 maybe 19 ( 2 are shouting cockerel but things combs and tails are saying pullet). That leaves the pullets between 25 and 27.
Really though at this age things may change next week.

My little september babies have grown so much! At first the tiny trio could fit in a basket in my room. Now they are old enough to forage in the grass. Little Sigh (a rooster, so no longer Little Sis) is on the left and Little Dude is on the right Little Dude is by far the largest of the group and has this awesome black spot on his leg Little Sigh is showing his pyle coloration Santos is right now snuggling with me, letting me pet his/her tiny crest and being so gentle and sweet while we watch foot-ball. He is the sweetest little bird ever, tucked under my sweater against the cold. Outside it is very cold, rainy and windy and the poor guys don't know how to react. Santos again Little Dude showing off that rooster comb of his I'm trying to find the trio a home, but its sort of hard with two, potentially three, roosters.
I can see the obvious roo, but how do you know the other two are? Santos looks a lot like my 6. Very cute!

Last edited:
I can see the obvious roo, but how do you know the other two are? Santos looks a lot like my 6. Very cute!

Little Sigh's comb is too large for his age, and beginning to brighten. I can't be sure with Santos because he/she has a walnut or rose comb (I can't tell which yet).

Will she sit still if you put some eggs under her?

Had you candled the zipped egg for movement? Maybe it got stuck when the hen pulled away and lost it's humidity...?

This is the first time for Sophie and for us with a chicken hatching her own. So all of this is new to us. She's doing great mothering the chicks.

I didn't candle either one I should have. They still didnt hatch so I am going to just egg-topsy them tomorrow and get an answer as to what happened.

My little september babies have grown so much! At first the tiny trio could fit in a basket in my room. Now they are old enough to forage in the grass. Little Sigh (a rooster, so no longer Little Sis) is on the left and Little Dude is on the right Little Dude is by far the largest of the group and has this awesome black spot on his leg Little Sigh is showing his pyle coloration Santos is right now snuggling with me, letting me pet his/her tiny crest and being so gentle and sweet while we watch foot-ball. He is the sweetest little bird ever, tucked under my sweater against the cold. Outside it is very cold, rainy and windy and the poor guys don't know how to react. Santos again Little Dude showing off that rooster comb of his I'm trying to find the trio a home, but its sort of hard with two, potentially three, roosters.
How adorable

Little Sigh's comb is too large for his age, and beginning to brighten. I can't be sure with Santos because he/she has a walnut or rose comb (I can't tell which yet).

Are they Seramas? How old are they? I ask because I'm brooding 12 chickens in my living room right now and if about half are roos, maybe I can start finding homes for the ones we can't keep sooner rather than later. 5 are Silkies, so they'll be around for a while before I figure out who's who, but Seramas look like they are pretty easy to sex early on. My singleton is staying with us no matter what. :) A few of the Silkies are definitely looking more and more boyish, but I'm hoping my inexperience with Silkies proves me wrong! We want to keep our Slimy Bob.

Check out Slimy's massive beak! Lol! He's a beast!

The other one I suspect being a roo is Pretty Boy. Right now he's looking like a cockatoo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom