September Hatch-A-Long

Yep, that's what dry hatching is, though I was told to keep it at 30, but not more than 40%, and to raise it up to 60% during lockdown. if it gets too low, I have a full; water bottle on stand by. pour a bit of water in there, and see if it goes up.

Soo, I looked at my dry-erase board calendar, and I am going to put my first batch of 13 eggs on Monday, the same day i'm suppose to go to a breeder to buy some silkie/polish pullets.

Remember when I said I was only going to do two more batches this year? I lied, I might try to add another batch of eggs after my first hatch, and I might ask the breeder if she'd sell my fresh eggs so I can put them in with the second batch of eggs.

That way it'll be staggered, and i'll can use my brooder coop for all new additions(will probably buy day old chicks instead of the older pullets).

Also, after looking at my calendar, I can confidently say, my algebra teacher would be proud! I have a bunch of things written, that look like some sort of equation. I'm keeping track of the hatch rates for each batch, the fatality rate for each hatch, as well as when my 9 week old pullets will be laying for each breed I have. All of this is abbreviated to such lengths that only I could possibly figure out what everything on their says xD.

Soo, I looked at my dry-erase board calendar, and I am going to put my first batch of 13 eggs on Monday, the same day i'm suppose to go to a breeder to buy some silkie/polish pullets.

Remember when I said I was only going to do two more batches this year? I lied, I might try to add another batch of eggs after my first hatch, and I might ask the breeder if she'd sell my fresh eggs so I can put them in with the second batch of eggs.

That way it'll be staggered, and i'll can use my brooder coop for all new additions(will probably buy day old chicks instead of the older pullets).

Also, after looking at my calendar, I can confidently say, my algebra teacher would be proud! I have a bunch of things written, that look like some sort of equation. I'm keeping track of the hatch rates for each batch, the fatality rate for each hatch, as well as when my 9 week old pullets will be laying for each breed I have. All of this is abbreviated to such lengths that only I could possibly figure out what everything on their says xD.
Chicken math wins again! DH be like..."Do you seriously want me to build yet another chicken coop this year?!" "Why yes. Yes I do. Preferably in the next two weeks so these eggs have a place to run around when they arrive..."

Chicken math wins again! DH be like..."Do you seriously want me to build yet another chicken coop this year?!" "Why yes. Yes I do. Preferably in the next two weeks so these eggs have a place to run around when they arrive..."

Darn chicken math at it again! xD and I was actually looking at some designs for a simple brooder for the outside, though i'll probably wait til this October, on my birthday where I majorly hinted I wanted a metal shed that I could modify for a official coop, where i'll probably make a built in brooder box for the turds, lol!

Welp, I have eggs that are due to hatch first week of September, so I thought i'd just start the September hatch a long!

I have RIR and hopefully a few polish mix eggs in the incubator due for the first week of September, I just added 13 more eggs in there, same breeding group.

The first batch had 4 clears, while I have 3 eggs that i'm not sure about, they seem to be developing, but not as fast as the rest, so I moved them closer to the heat source to help them a long.

These eggs are my second try at hatching eggs, a test run before I start buying expensive eggs, so I know I can actually hatch chicks. My first batch, I had a rough start and finish, first 4 days with a faulty DIY incubator that probably killed half the eggs in the 2nd day, and during lock down my power went out, all three days, and the temp got to 115 when I locked them down to retain heat.

These eggs, knock on wood, have been doing great, no temp going all over the place, it's been at 99 and gets to 101 during the night, but they seems fine, so hopefully I can get some littles before winter sets in.
I have two due tomorrow the 2nd one has popped other it moving in air sac, yea I'm one of them. Have seven mallard duck eggs due between the 16 and 25. No clue what I'm doing with baby ducks but I figured I'd see what I end up with. Have like 8 chicks due to hatch around the 14 and 16. So I will let ya know how many I end up with. Nothing fancy just my home batch farm roo and hen. I only set the round ones lol a older man told me round are hens and points are Roos last batch only one Roos outta 19. I am happy with that. Best of luck to everyone and I love pics.

New incubator just showed up this week 2 days later the 14 silkie eggs and 11 brahma eggs. Set them in the incubator today so I'm looking at sept21 hatch. sept 22 im looking to pick up another 2 dozen eggs in Independnce Mo area. Those will be ameuracana, fbcm and ayma cemin.
Scott

912017.jpg

Last edited:
I have two due tomorrow the 2nd one has popped other it moving in air sac, yea I'm one of them. Have seven mallard duck eggs due between the 16 and 25. No clue what I'm doing with baby ducks but I figured I'd see what I end up with. Have like 8 chicks due to hatch around the 14 and 16. So I will let ya know how many I end up with. Nothing fancy just my home batch farm roo and hen. I only set the round ones lol a older man told me round are hens and points are Roos last batch only one Roos outta 19. I am happy with that. Best of luck to everyone and I love pics.
ooh~ can't wait to see what ya get out of them! Though, I was told you can't tell sex until they hatch, but let me know if that's true, I might try that and see what I get!
New incubator just showed up this week 2 days later the 14 silkie eggs and 11 brahma eggs. Set them in the incubator today so I'm looking at sept21 hatch. sept 22 im looking to pick up another 2 dozen eggs in Independnce Mo area. Those will be ameuracana, fbcm and ayma cemin.
Scott
View attachment 1126750
hey, another Missouri breeder/hatcher, lol! good luck with your hatch!

ooh~ can't wait to see what ya get out of them! Though, I was told you can't tell sex until they hatch, but let me know if that's true, I might try that and see what I get!

hey, another Missouri breeder/hatcher, lol! good luck with your hatch!
I sure will that's what I always heard also but it seemed to work with my last batch 19 babies one rooster could just be luck. I hope not but maybe before this batch it's been pretty much 50/50

Back
Top Bottom