September Hatch-A-Long

I ordered 10 call duck eggs and got 15. I put them under a broody hen last night. My broody hen tried to set them all at first, but she's small and today she moved half of the eggs across the brooder pen to the other corner and made a new nest there. I wish I had been there to see her do it. It must have been quite the sight to see her rolling eggs across the brooder! I popped the left behinds into an incubator I bought last year and never used so we'll see. I've heard calls are hard to incubate on a good day! Fingers crossed...

I ordered 10 call duck eggs and got 15. I put them under a broody hen last night. My broody hen tried to set them all at first, but she's small and today she moved half of the eggs across the brooder pen to the other corner and made a new nest there. I wish I had been there to see her do it. It must have been quite the sight to see her rolling eggs across the brooder! I popped the left behinds into an incubator I bought last year and never used so we'll see. I've heard calls are hard to incubate on a good day! Fingers crossed...

That would have been awesome to see. BTW Best of luck on yours and hers hatches.

Scott

oh heck that is close. If I want good food I drive over a hour away.lol. I moved from St.Charles Mo in 2006. Man I miss the pizza.
Scott
ooh,it's that good? If I ever drive that way, i'll have to try some, the best pizza I have is Caseys, which is the best pizza i'll probably ever have until I get my license.

Good luck on your hatch! though i'd love to see a hen do this, can't wait to get silkies so I won't be worrying about if the power goes out while im not home, that is If they go broody.

I sat down and got a solid count!
Today, end of day 9, I have:

42 clear/early death/infertile (known fertility is only 60%, prior to shipping. They traveled through pretty intense heat and distance to get to me-August isn't known for being gentle on shipped eggs!)

5 blood rings

21 live babies:
4 Jubilee Orps (ordered 12, received 13?)
7 Jubilee/Blue Jubilee Orps splits (ordered 12, got around 30)
10 Silver Laced Orps, they made up a huge chunk of my order with an extra 20 or so eggs!-one of these is cracked but still kicking.

So far, 21/68 are with me, so 30% of what was shipped to me, and I expect all except perhaps the "candle wax" egg to make it to lock down. I think things look pretty darn good, especially given that only 60% of these eggs started out fertile. It was a little sad putting all those clear eggs in the trash, but it was glaringly obvious there was no development. I did eggtopsy the 5 blood rings and there was nothing but creamy yellow egg and one streak of blood. I was so glad I didn't find a live baby! (Hey, I'm new.)

One of the live SL babies had a bit of chipped/cracked shell. We covered it in candle wax and crossed our fingers. Air cells look good sized, nothing floating or saddle bagged. Apparently the most difficult part is over until hatching, as the vast majority of losses happen either prior to day 10 or at hatch, so the plan is to keep our mitts off until final candling @ day 18. (Why is that so far away?!)

When we received the eggs we let them sit for 4 hours in egg trays, then placed in the incubator with the turner off for four days. This was an effort to allow any loose air cells or jiggly bits to get back where they belonged, while still getting the eggs in the incubator if they'd started developing. I'm I think I only ended up with two or three dislodged ones and no saddle air cells, which was super impressive to me.

Having fun so far! Humidity @ 43% and air cells look good for 9 days. Temp just under 100, 99.7-99.8. Incubator is quite steady and right on the money, temp and humidity.

Ducklings!!! I adore them. I need them. Why do they have to be so cute?!

I sat down and got a solid count!
Today, end of day 9, I have:

42 clear/early death/infertile (known fertility is only 60%, prior to shipping. They traveled through pretty intense heat and distance to get to me-August isn't known for being gentle on shipped eggs!)

5 blood rings

21 live babies:
4 Jubilee Orps (ordered 12, received 13?)
7 Jubilee/Blue Jubilee Orps splits (ordered 12, got around 30)
10 Silver Laced Orps, they made up a huge chunk of my order with an extra 20 or so eggs!-one of these is cracked but still kicking.

So far, 21/68 are with me, so 30% of what was shipped to me, and I expect all except perhaps the "candle wax" egg to make it to lock down. I think things look pretty darn good, especially given that only 60% of these eggs started out fertile. It was a little sad putting all those clear eggs in the trash, but it was glaringly obvious there was no development. I did eggtopsy the 5 blood rings and there was nothing but creamy yellow egg and one streak of blood. I was so glad I didn't find a live baby! (Hey, I'm new.)

One of the live SL babies had a bit of chipped/cracked shell. We covered it in candle wax and crossed our fingers. Air cells look good sized, nothing floating or saddle bagged. Apparently the most difficult part is over until hatching, as the vast majority of losses happen either prior to day 10 or at hatch, so the plan is to keep our mitts off until final candling @ day 18. (Why is that so far away?!)

When we received the eggs we let them sit for 4 hours in egg trays, then placed in the incubator with the turner off for four days. This was an effort to allow any loose air cells or jiggly bits to get back where they belonged, while still getting the eggs in the incubator if they'd started developing. I'm I think I only ended up with two or three dislodged ones and no saddle air cells, which was super impressive to me.

Having fun so far! Humidity @ 43% and air cells look good for 9 days. Temp just under 100, 99.7-99.8. Incubator is quite steady and right on the money, temp and humidity.

Sounds like you will have a good few hatching! When I get shipped eggs I usually let them sit for a lot longer; I think someone on here recommended 24 hours.

I am on Day 11, planning to candle again on Day 14. Last time I candled (at Day 9), one of the eggs looked kind of weird, all dark, so I don't think that one is alive. Next time I candle I will see how it looks but will probably toss it.

My incubator temps have been all over the place so we'll see how things go, but hopefully I will get a couple chicks at least. Last time I candled I think 7 were still alive, but temps have been up & down so who knows!

One of the teachers at my kids' school incubated duck eggs last May. She said they were hard to hatch because of all the misting. She ended up with 3 baby ducks though, & they were the CUTEST. They followed her around the yard, lol.

Back
Top Bottom