September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I did a quick candling yesterday (day 6). I have a split batch of 8 call duck eggs (shipped, from ebay) in the 'bator and 8 under a hen (7 calls from the shipped eggs, and 1 pekin that I got from a friend as an experiment to see if the ducks were fertile). I have 2 developing in the bator and 2+ the pekin looking good under the hen. Now the question is, do I move the 'bator eggs under the hen, or just leave things as they are?? so far the 'bator is holding steady at 99.7-99.9 and 50-55% humidity.

Any chicks hatch yet? I am getting impatient for mine. I am so curious what color mine will be. I had a dream last night that they hatched and they were all black & super cute. :)
Day 17 here. Turned on the hatcher and getting ready to roll! Lockdown is tomorrow...

Welp, I hate when this happens to me. I have a batch of 11 eggs that are now on their 24th day in the incubator, they all look like they're on different days, some are completely pitch black and I can only see something from the air sac side of the egg. I'm stagger hatching, and I don't know whether to discard these eggs, and focus on the second batch that's on day 12..

Last hatch, that was mostly heart break, was the same, they were all late, and the last chick hatched at day 24, and had to be put down on day 25.

I can't wait for my silkie or showgirl to become broody, as it seems im not cut out for hatching eggs myself!

Update!

I was candling them to see if I could see any internal pips, and nearly smothered a beak with the flashlight. I closed it, did a little happy dance, then got some more water to up the humidity a bit, then went to start up my heat pad. I'll have to check the rest after this one hatches out.

I did a quick candling yesterday (day 6). I have a split batch of 8 call duck eggs (shipped, from ebay) in the 'bator and 8 under a hen (7 calls from the shipped eggs, and 1 pekin that I got from a friend as an experiment to see if the ducks were fertile). I have 2 developing in the bator and 2+ the pekin looking good under the hen. Now the question is, do I move the 'bator eggs under the hen, or just leave things as they are?? so far the 'bator is holding steady at 99.7-99.9 and 50-55% humidity.

If I read this right, you have 4 + the pekin? I'd put the bator eggs under the hen, that is if she can fit them all comfortably. I have NEVER seen a duck egg before, so I don't know size.

Update!

I was candling them to see if I could see any internal pips, and nearly smothered a beak with the flashlight. I closed it, did a little happy dance, then got some more water to up the humidity a bit, then went to start up my heat pad. I'll have to check the rest after this one hatches out.
Baby!! What day are you on? ETA: oh I see, staggered hatch! Eek! Good luck!

Update!

Awesome! What kind is hatching? Would love to see pics!

Awesome! What kind is hatching? Would love to see pics!

I'm not entirely sure seeing as there are two different roosters of different breeds, but they're either a RIR, or RIR Polish mix. And if I can figure out how to post a pic on here, i'd love to post some of my first little cheeper.

I have a question though, seeing as the chicks ive actually hatched have been sick and very weak, is it normal that my chick is squirming around, laying still for a bit then flailing about again? It's only bee out of the shell for an hour or two.

Back
Top Bottom