September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Here we are! Absorbing the yolk, getting into position. I'm hoping that tomorrow we'll hear cheeping so I know they are pipping internally and making their way into the world. I haven't seen any movement yet. I have them in my mechanical room in the basement and it's loud in there so I'm not sure I will hear movement or cheeping. I need to make a feed store run tonight for some basic essentials. Like, say, chick starter? ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_7634.JPG
    IMG_7634.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7636.JPG
    IMG_7636.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 7
Well,
I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one! The first two weeks went by really quickly for me, but this last five days? Dragging. Absolutely dragging!

Honora, glad to know I shouldn't expect too much out of them tomorrow! I still hold out hope for one or two early ones. Lol!
They were shipped in high temperatures so it wouldn't surprise me if they began to develop somewhat during their travels.

It's agonizing every single time for me!

We are in the home stretch now! 2 more days. In my past hatches the eggs have been pretty quiet until day 21, so I just try to keep busy and keep my mind on other things till then.

Welp, Im heading home to check on the incubator, and see if my fifth babe comes into the world, also saw an internal pip, or I hope, in another.

I guess I should join this thread since I am have coturnix quail eggs that should hatch 9/11-9/12, and a second batch of coturnix quail and button quail eggs (different incubator) that should hatch 9/16-17. The incubator I just locked down this morning (a bit late but I ran out of time yesterday) is currently around 25-30% humidity and has been that way the entire incubation. I water candled the eggs and they all seemed to have small-regular sized air cells. If I add more water to increase the humidity will it drown the chicks?
I got my humidity up to 49%, should I try to get it higher? So far not seeing any pipping action, and no cheeping.

I got my humidity up to 49%, should I try to get it higher? So far not seeing any pipping action, and no cheeping.

Not sure if quail eggs are different, but I usually keep my chicken eggs on lockdown at 65% and up.

After candling I had one infertile and one early death(bout 10day developed, had blood ring). 6 healthy and kicking embryos :)
Approx. Hatch date 9/19

Temp has stayed steady between 99.4-100.6F, doing a "dry run", but really humidity has been between 45-55% due to the relative humidity of my house.

Current live eggs are:
2 maran, possibly pure black/copper or blue/copper+black copper mixed.

4 EE, should produce olive eggers as only roos are black/copper Maran

So happy this run is going WAY better than my first batch. All eggs are from a friend's backyard flock. First batch she gave me I got a 1/9 hatch rate due to her not realizing some of her hens went broody and had hidden eggs in various stages of development.
Hey a marans friend! good luck!

Back
Top Bottom