September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Put my eggs into lockdown, it's day 14, but I've read some people initiate lockdown early and have really successful hatches. So trying it and we'll see what happens. The eggs spent a couple days at a friends house because I was worried about losing power during Irma, but they're back home now :). It was AWFUL being separated from them, luckily I have good friends and they updated me twice a day while they had them to let me know the temp.
IMAG0658.jpg

Aaannd lockdown! Day 18 is here marans are in lockdown. (Decided to put everyone in lockdown, a day early won't hurt anything!) I am using cardboard egg cartons to keep the eggs in position, out of curiousity does anyone else have experience doing this? -good, bad, advice? I just feel like sometimes the hatched chicks mess up the pipping eggs, so this will be my second time trying this, will see how it goes.
View attachment 1135196View attachment 1135198

Last edited:
I can see how incubating eggs could be totally addictive! It's so exciting! I have 3 call duck eggs and 1 pekin under a broody hen. The pekin is about 5 days ahead of the calls and should hatch sept 23 or 24. I hope mom stays put on the calls for another 5 days but I will have the bator warm, humid, and at the ready just in case. I opened the "duds" and only 2 of 12 were fertile - minimal development. I contacted the seller who will send another batch...so I guess I will be joining the October Hatch a Long too :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom