September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So this morning I have 2 Jubilee's to hatch (apparently they take longer?!) and 1 Blue/black jubilee has a beak shoved through the pip made last night, but hasn't made any more progress.
Still alive and cheeping as it gets bowled over and knocked around.
When do we start thinking about intervention? Is it safe to pull the 24-hour siblings? (I would have to open the entire incubator and pull the drawer, dropping humidity to somewhere around 45% for 5 minutes, and then put the hatching egg back in.)
I see no problem with taking the older siblings out. Though I would suggest leaving one in to egg the hatching on. Just be quick and after you put the tray back, mist a little with water to raise humidity back up.

Last edited:
As far as assistance go, if it's making effort give it at least 24hrs before contemplating intervention :)

Last edited:
How many other eggs are left? Or is that the last one?
Top shelf, 10 babies are out and this last egg (number 11) is pipped with a beak but hasn't hatched.
Bottom shelf, 4 have hatched and 2 eggs sitting there, no pips.
(Cabinet incubator, the hatching trays have covers so I have to pull the entire thing out.)

Two of the bottom tray's babies are still dragging around eggshells, so I'm not as much in a hurry to get them out.

Attachments

• IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7750.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7751.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 6
Two of the bottom tray's babies are still dragging around eggshells, so I'm not as much in a hurry to get them out.
Cute!!! I really wouldn't worry about pulling out the hatched chicks. I've seen videos of commercial hatches and normally after around 1/4-1/2 have hatched they go in and take out the fluffed chicks to give the still hatching eggs more room. A lot of people seem to think that if the egg so much as touches normal air during "lockdown" after an egg has pipped then the chick is instantly shrink wrapped and doomed. It takes a LOT longer than a couple minutes for the membrane to dry out and trap a chick.

I'm hatching in a Brinsea Mini Advance, and while it's worked nicely, it has convinced me that this isn't the incubator for me long term-- even my three tiny Serama chicks seem super crowded in there with the four unhatched eggs!
That's the 7 egg (chicken) one right? When I was planning what incubator to get, I looked at that one because it's for small batches and fully automatic, but the price....just too much for me to justify for using a couple times, even with all its bells and whistles lol. I'm using a Janoel 12, cheap Chinese incubator that sells under 5 names, but it's forced air, auto-turning, I expect it to break down pretty quick, but for $50 it's served my needs fairly well.

I'm hatching in a Brinsea Mini Advance, and while it's worked nicely, it has convinced me that this isn't the incubator for me long term-- even my three tiny Serama chicks seem super crowded in there with the four unhatched eggs!
On the plus side..you can see all the action! My big cabinet incubator has wire covers over the top. I can't see!! Some of them roll to the back of the incubator and then I'm completely surprised when a new baby appears!

That's the 7 egg (chicken) one right? When I was planning what incubator to get, I looked at that one because it's for small batches and fully automatic, but the price....just too much for me to justify for using a couple times, even with all its bells and whistles lol. I'm using a Janoel 12, cheap Chinese incubator that sells under 5 names, but it's forced air, auto-turning, I expect it to break down pretty quick, but for $50 it's served my needs fairly well.

Yep! I borrowed this one since my Hova (which I'd never hatched in, just bought off Craigslist) wouldn't stop spiking. It's been really great overall, and I LOVE the digital aspect instead of fiddling with a little knob, but it just seems awfully crowded in there.

On the plus side..you can see all the action! My big cabinet incubator has wire covers over the top. I can't see!! Some of them roll to the back of the incubator and then I'm completely surprised when a new baby appears!

That's true! I have two other batches in two Octagons. I was planning to sell both Octagons (I got them for a crazy good deal off Craigslist) in order to buy one of the newer Brinseas, but I think I'll wait and see how these go?

Back
Top Bottom