September Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Well, all 6 eggs hatched, but the last to hatch was very weak and while it made it through the night, it passed this morning :(

I never updated but my broody hatched all 5 and my serama only has 1 duck and 1 chicken as the rest where busted air cells and couldnt cover them all so that line is now dead not that I really wanted any chicks from a deformed bird to start with lesson learned never will buy feed store chicks again waste of money
DSC00032.JPG
DSC00033.JPG
DSC00034.JPG

Sorry that you lost one. Sometime it happens. Maybe it had not developed properly inside of it's body.
I'm sad, but not upset. I'm so happy to have the good hatch rate I did and that I have 5 healthy baby chicks running around the brooder. My last hatch I had a lot of issues and had 1/9, which required a full assisted hatch. It's 3wks old and seems to be enjoying to company of the new babies. I don't know how accurate feather sexing is, but I think I have two pullets, one rooster and two I'm uncertain of.

Welp, my 2nd batch of chicks started hatching this weekend, I have 11 of which I've marked that were fertile, but only have nine eggs, or had. Not sure if I forgot to mark I threw out infertile ones or not. I've had 5 hatch out, two of which died, one was bloody, the other was laying dead on the side of the heating pad cave, no blood on it.

The first two chicks that had hatched have an interesting color, with splashes of white on top. Would these be a RIR buff laced polish mix? As I have no other chickens that have matured yet, and the first batch didn't have a single chick like this one.

Anyways, back to hatchrate, if I count the full 11, right now I have a hatch rate 5/11, with another one pipped and getting ready start zipping, if I count the eggs in the incubator, it'd be 5/9.

Hi! I'm not sure the proper way to join this thread but I'd like to.

This is my first hatch ever. I started with 6 eggs from a Spitzhauben rooster/dark brahma hen and 6 silkie bantam eggs someone gifted me to try hatching. 1 of each never got past just showing a blood ring.

The incubator countdown says tomorrow is day 21 but I suspected it was off because I had unplugged it and plugged it back in early on.

Last night we started hearing cheeping coming from the incubator. This morning we woke up to one chick. It's from one of the larger eggs. He just keeps laying there, is that normal?

I don't see any signs of anything happening in the other eggs or hear any cheeping.

Attachments

• IMG_9648.JPG
    IMG_9648.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi! I'm not sure the proper way to join this thread but I'd like to.

This is my first hatch ever. I started with 6 eggs from a Spitzhauben rooster/dark brahma hen and 6 silkie bantam eggs someone gifted me to try hatching. 1 of each never got past just showing a blood ring.

The incubator countdown says tomorrow is day 21 but I suspected it was off because I had unplugged it and plugged it back in early on.

Last night we started hearing cheeping coming from the incubator. This morning we woke up to one chick. It's from one of the larger eggs. He just keeps laying there, is that normal?

I don't see any signs of anything happening in the other eggs or hear any cheeping.
looks Great!

Thank you! I'm so nervous, I hope most of them hatch ok. I homeschool my 6yo and he woke up long enough to see him and went back to sleep.
It can take a day or two for the eggs to hatch. Hatching is very exhausting so it's normal for the chicks to sleep a LOT, my 5 babies are passed out right now lol. Just make sure to keep your humidity up to help the chicks hatch :)

It can take a day or two for the eggs to hatch. Hatching is very exhausting so it's normal for the chicks to sleep a LOT, my 5 babies are passed out right now lol. Just make sure to keep your humidity up to help the chicks hatch :)

It's at 56% right now. It stayed right around 40-45% until 2 days ago I started trying to keep it at 60%. Is in the 50%'S high enough? How do I raise it without opening it? Thank you, I appreciate any and all advice.

Back
Top Bottom