Serama Bantam My first house chicken

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
I just got a 7mth old Silkied Serama and she is in a 20 X 20 cockateil cage. She is so tiny and don't want to put her in the big hen house with my standard size bantams. I have a perch for her, put shavings in her cage, fresh water, layer crumbles, grit. Is there anything else I could do for her? I hold her and talk to her as much as I can. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Judy
14259_bantam_chickens_020.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I raise Seramas (normal feathered) and all you have to do is keep her warm on nights that are below freezing. That's easy to do when they're in a small cage like yours. She must be adorable!

Serama are total sweet hearts!!! None of my silkies like to be loved on and I still have one sweet little serama girl that
loves to be held and loved on!!
The only other thing I would say to do is get one more so she will have a "cage mate". That way she won't be lonley
when you aren't around, it doens't have to be a roo unless you want babies!!

cool.png

I'd love to see a picture of her, my wife wants a white silkie but we don't have anymore room in the back yard but we have a lot of bird cages for inside the house.

I have a tiny pair that I keep as house chickens and besides food and water I also have a perch and a little rock and a rope from which I can hang either a bird toy or a treat ball filled with something they like. Honestly, I don't find them to be much different than keeping other little parrot-type birds. They seem to like all the same toys.

Yes, she is more friendly than my cockateils! She has two perches, shavings on the bottom of her cage with water, grit and food. I try to play toys with her, the Cockateil toys, but she doesn't seem interested. She just likes to be held and hang out with us. I'm trying to post pic's of her but am having trouble.

Last edited:
cool.png

woot.gif

Oh she is a beauty, she looks so big. Is she all puffed up and mostly air?
I've has so much trouble with all of my silkies, good luck!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom