Serama Chick Laying on Ground Wings Spread

TheChestnutChicks

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
Hi everyone! I have a Serama chick that is about 8 weeks old. This evening when I went to check on it I found it laying down and not wanting to move. I can’t tell if it has injured its wings or it’s legs. It is kind of laying on the ground with wings spread open. When I pick it up the wings take their normal shape but it is not flapping them etc.

Update: Today it’s wings aren’t spread out but it’s just sitting on ground not wanting to move. If I put it by water and food it is eating but something seems off. :(

I’m thinking you might be right because I can’t tell any specific injury to wings or legs. Any tips on how to supplement vitamins? Also, I’ve never heard of a harness. How does that work? I’m a first timer with raising baby chicks.

Poultry Cell or Poultry NutriDrench is very good to help revive a sick chicken. You could use sugar in water, or Gatorade room temperature as well until you can some PND. Is there any diarrhea? Mix a little chick feed and water, and hold it up to her beak often. A chicken sling might be helpful to get her upright and in front of food and water, but be sure to get some fluids in her first. I would consider treating for possible coccidiosis at her age. Injury or something like Mareks disease might also be the problem. See posts 5, 11, and 12 here for samples of homemade chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you! I added some ACV to water and I am picking up nutridrench. After looking at him today, his toes are definitely looking funny…

8522363D-A74E-423B-BE4E-951A4D904123.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom