Serama chicks won't eat

Does anyone know what sex these are? Judging by what I have seen online looks like possibly two hens? @Ridgerunner
GridArt_20221206_071329205.jpg
GridArt_20221206_071211494.jpg
20221206_065534.jpg

Attachments

• 20221206_071718.jpg
    20221206_071718.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 3
Some people claim they can feather sex any chick like that, science says otherwise. The mother has to have the dominant slow feathering gene and the father cannot have a slow feathering gene, he has to only have the recessive fast feathering gene for that kind of feather sexing to work. Since the parents have to be set up right genetically for that to work you can only use it once because the genetics have been changed once you use it.

I have yet to hear anyone explain how that works with every chick other than pure magic. So I'll let someone else tell you what they think about those.

For me to try to sex chicks they need to be at least 5 weeks old. I like a photo that shows the comb and wattles. Red tends to mean boy. If they have wattles at that age it tends to mean boy. Comb size can be a good indicator for certain types of combs but not for others. I also like a profile shot that shows legs, posture, and body shape. Heavy legs indicated a boy. An upright posture suggests a boy and some just have a profile that says boy or girl. Some are really clear at five weeks, some are still challenging a couple of months later. Experience helps but some of it is more art than pure science.

Some people claim they can feather sex any chick like that, science says otherwise. The mother has to have the dominant slow feathering gene and the father cannot have a slow feathering gene, he has to only have the recessive fast feathering gene for that kind of feather sexing to work. Since the parents have to be set up right genetically for that to work you can only use it once because the genetics have been changed once you use it.

I have yet to hear anyone explain how that works with every chick other than pure magic. So I'll let someone else tell you what they think about those.

For me to try to sex chicks they need to be at least 5 weeks old. I like a photo that shows the comb and wattles. Red tends to mean boy. If they have wattles at that age it tends to mean boy. Comb size can be a good indicator for certain types of combs but not for others. I also like a profile shot that shows legs, posture, and body shape. Heavy legs indicated a boy. An upright posture suggests a boy and some just have a profile that says boy or girl. Some are really clear at five weeks, some are still challenging a couple of months later. Experience helps but some of it is more art than pure science.
Wow this is interesting. Also thanks for the detailed reply. I came across this YT video, thats why I thought I would ask the experts on here to see if this had basis. Not sure if links are allowed but this is the video in question, let me know what you think about this.

@Ridgerunner I have only just started to keep chickens, before this was just quail, duck and parrots and this is fascinating. I especially like this forum as you leave having generally learned something. I relayed this information to my parents who are equally interested. :love

The first post in this thread explains how sex linking works. I had to read it several times for it to sink in. The person that wrote it is a poultry science professor and often consults with major commercial chicken companies. Really knowledgeable.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/
Thanks. I will need to read this several dozen times for me to get a solid understanding. I have read it multiple times now and things are somewhat clearer. Thanks for link its a good post in every detail imaginable.

Just a quick update, look at my beautiful chick's! I love them I never imagined chickens could be like this they are my best friends x

Attachments

• 2702efe1-e7f1-4cd4-bb48-6e7dd509dab6.jpg
    2702efe1-e7f1-4cd4-bb48-6e7dd509dab6.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 3
  • dd375c32-7e58-43f7-bfd2-38fe5f49d9ae.jpg
    dd375c32-7e58-43f7-bfd2-38fe5f49d9ae.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1a0bdf1e-9599-45a8-bd4d-609847bc74f3.jpg
    1a0bdf1e-9599-45a8-bd4d-609847bc74f3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 3
I'll respond to your message on here. Those chicks are about 3-1/2 weeks old. Too young to sex. Wait until they are at least five weeks old to post photos, that may be too soon but sometimes they are old enough. When you post photos take a close-up of the head. I'll be looking at the size and color of the comb and wattles. Red generally means a boy. Light pink or yellow says it is a girl or a late developing boy. If you see wattles at 5 weeks it's likely a boy. The size of the comb can be a clue.

Take a photo of their profile showing the legs, posture, and profile. Heavy or long legs indicate it might be a boy. An upright posture indicates a boy. General body shape can be a clue.

It's often easier to say "That is a boy" than it is to say "That is definitely a girl". That's just the way these clues work, some boys develop a lot slower than others. Often by five weeks we can tell.

With the white one I don't have a clue. The dark one has a bit of a comb but it is yellow, not red at all. It could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom