Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Don't quote me on this mommaduck2014 because this is my first batch of serama eggs and I'm hatching mine under a broody, but I think that you'd
probably treat the serama eggs the same way you'd treat your other kind of eggs in the incubator (but like I said, Don't quote me on it. I don't want to
feel responsible for them if I told you the wrong thing and something happened to them !!! I just candled one of my 11 remaining eggs and not only
can I see the heartbeat, I can also see his (or her) little teeny tiny head and what I'm believing must be its beak !!! And he or she is pointed in the right direction...towards the air sac !!! Today is day 18 and I'm so excited about the upcoming hatch that I could almost pee myself...lol !!!
-kim-

Don't quote me on this mommaduck2014 because this is my first batch of serama eggs and I'm hatching mine under a broody, but I think that you'd
probably treat the serama eggs the same way you'd treat your other kind of eggs in the incubator (but like I said, Don't quote me on it. I don't want to
feel responsible for them if I told you the wrong thing and something happened to them !!! I just candled one of my 11 remaining eggs and not only
can I see the heartbeat, I can also see his (or her) little teeny tiny head and what I'm believing must be its beak !!! And he or she is pointed in the right direction...towards the air sac !!! Today is day 18 and I'm so excited about the upcoming hatch that I could almost pee myself...lol !!!
-kim-

That is exciting!! Just a few more days!

My original frizzle hen laid an egg today... first one in months. It was huge! I am not going to set her eggs, although I did hatch some nice frizzles from her, I am excited because she goes broody like clockwork.

My second batch got candled on Saturday, 3 developing with one maybe. For 6 eggs, that is pretty good! I left the clears in just in case, but I need to candle that maybe again a bit sooner than this sat. If it is a blood ring that had just died before candling I'm not gonna want to leave it to fester. I went through my camera and pulled only two good photos of two chicks! I've been bad about photographing. I hurt my back really badly and my spine has been swollen, so I'm been stuck in a laying position 90% of my time waiting for the swelling to vanish.. not a good time to be rolling around on the floor taking photos, heh.

This is Bobble., fairly certain she is an exchequer hen. All of her feathers are coming in either solid white or solid black. She took awhile to learn to walk, is the slowest developing and the sweetest, so I was worried... but she kicks the boys around whenever they fuss with her or her best friend Ping (who is probably the only other hen.)

This is Jack. Jack is an uppity brat with a coward streak. I really hope he grows out of it! Challenging someone then running crying is not the serama way. His pretty yellow comb is getting redder by the day, so fairly certain he's a roo, along with 2 others.

To belatedly answer you darkbluespace, my lone chicks were raised months apart! So they didn't really have a chance to take to one another. My october hatched serama, Chip, is old enough to start posing now, but he does every weird pose EXCEPT the one he's supposed to:

Oh my goodness, I am sorry to hear about your back!! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Your chicks are just beautiful and adorable, I am glad you maybe have another hen!

And Chip...
lau.gif
cracking me up with all those poses! He has plenty of personality it seems : )

I just love the surprise of seeing how the chicks turn out!

Of the three eggs that developed out of the four, only two will be making it to lockdown. The other one apparently stopped developing 8 or 9 days ago there is no movement at all.

So I get up this morning just like the last 2 mornings, and rush into the room where Riley Roo is sitting on my (now) 10 serama eggs, hoping to see something...anything !!! Because depending on who's doing the counting (???), today is either the 20th or 21st day of broody incubation and they should be hatching any second !!! Well, this morning there was still no hatching going on but there sure was a lot of 'peeping' !!! I can hear the babies peeping from inside of their shells !!! The only problem is that since this is my first attempt at hatching serama eggs, I don't know if that's good or bad !?! From what I can tell (without bothering or moving them too much), is that there haven't been any external pips yet so I'm thinking that they must have pipped internally, but now what ??? Should I candle them to see or ??? I don't want to jostle them too much, but I don't want to lose any from a lack of action on my part either. WHAT SHOULD I DO and how many hours can they survive an internal pip (12 hours?) without pipping externally ???

INFORMATION AND ADVICE NEEDED QUICKLY PLEASE !!!

Thanks in advance!

-kim-

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about the demise of one of your eggs mommaduck2014, I'll be crossing my fingers for you and the other two throughout
lockdown !!!

P.P.S. And Skink...a swollen spine !?!? That just sounds awful! I hope it reduces and that you're back on your feet real soon! You'll need to be...you've got all those babies to chase after...lol !!!

Last edited:
Thank you mightymax for your support. I am not an expert on serama eggs so don't quote me, but I had that happen with some bantam eggs I incubated. They peeped for a couple of hours, the egg shook and everything. They hadn't externally peeped either. But since serama eggs are so delicate to begin with I sure darkbluespace probably knows what to do better than me.

Back
Top Bottom