Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
I was starting to worry that none of my 10 remaining eggs were actually going to hatch because all of the 'peeping' had stopped about 2 hours ago, when
I decided that I just had to take another peek underneath Riley Roo to see what was going on. Expecting the worst, or at the very least expecting nothing, I gently lifted her up about 3 inches and stole a quick peek...and that's when I first saw him !!!

What I saw moving beneath her made me almost drop my precious little broody !!! It was a teeny, tiny, itsy, bisty little yellow 'poof' of a thing, not much bigger than a cotton ball with toothpick legs. He's soooo adorable, bright electric yellow with a little brown strip down his back. I'm not exactly sure when he hatched, as I was trying to leave them alone, but it must have been at least an hour or so ago because he was completely dry when I found him and his shell remnants were dry as well. There's still no more 'peeping' sound from the 9 remaining eggs but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. How long
should I wait to see if any of the others hatch, since we're already on day 21 ??? I mean, I'm not going to get in there and take them all out or anything, but I was just wondering if it was normal for them to continue hatching over a period of time, or no? Most of the other times we've let the eggs hatch, we've just woken up in the morning and...surprise...baby chickens !!! The most it's ever taken for all the eggs to hatch that were going to hatch was an entire day so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thank you so much for all your help and words of encouragement !!!

More to come...hopefully !!!

-kim-

Still only one fluffy butt under mama Roo...
I'm going to bed now so I hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised in the morning when I wake up. That's if I don't just keep getting up every hour throughout the entire night to go check on them...lol !!!

-kim-

Yay!! I am so happy you got a chick! It's so adorable! I hope there are a bunch more soon.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

If not, you can pull an egg out at a time to do a quick candle. I generally don't worry too much about a broody hatch, but if you think they are taking too long and there is no external pip, you can make a tiny pin hole in the air cell for a safe hole to make sure they can breathe.

Man, it's just like Christmas around here !!! Two more babies hatched sometime during the night !!! So now the tally is a total of
3 chicks, 2 yellow and 1 brown!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I can't wait to see how many more will hatch and what color(s) those will be!
Thanks for all of your support and confidence building words of wisdom! A special shout-out to darkbluespace...without your input I probably
would have fussed with them so much that Riley Roo would've gotten mad and left them all 'out in the cold'...literally...lol !!!

Thanks Again.
And I'll keep you all updated on the progressing birth.

-kim-

P.S. Ahhh, I can hear Riley contentedly 'cooing' at them right now...

That is so awesome!!! I just checked my email and was wondering how they were doing when your update popped up! What a good mama you have, I am so happy for tiny tiny chicks!

Oops, sorry!! No, I start lockdown tomorrow. Tonight
I candle for the last time. I am worried about something. I put some of my fertile layers eggs in to help keep the temperature and humidity balanced. I put them in the day after the Serama eggs were put in the incubator. Is the going to cause any problems with the Serama babies. These other chicks are coming out huge!! Oh, and how many ventilation plugs do I pull out there is two?

Back
Top Bottom