Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
It looks like 5 out of 6 of my serama eggs are developing! And at least 3 of my Silkie eggs, a couple are hard to see into. I am more excited about the silkies than I would have imagined : ) It would be cool to have more broodies... I wish I had one for these serama eggs! They are small so I am keeping humidity around 40%
fl.gif
... last time the humidity was too low for the tiniest eggs.

It looks like 5 out of 6 of my serama eggs are developing!  And at least 3 of my Silkie eggs, a couple are hard to see into.  I am more excited about the silkies than I would have imagined : )  It would be cool to have more broodies... I wish I had one for these serama eggs!   They are small so I am keeping humidity around 40%  :fl ... last time the humidity was too low for the tiniest eggs. 
5/6 is great for Seramas. I've never been a Silkie fan but then again I've never owned any so they might be cool once you get to know them. LOL...I'm heading to the swap in Corvallis this weekend to pick up a Serama or two...eggs maybe?

5/6 is great for Seramas. I've never been a Silkie fan but then again I've never owned any so they might be cool once you get to know them. LOL...I'm heading to the swap in Corvallis this weekend to pick up a Serama or two...eggs maybe?

One or two... or a dozen ; ) I would love to go just for fun since I certainly don't need any eggs, but I probably won't make it this weekend. Have fun!!

Well, I am still a bit confused, but I was totally wrong about the frizzle thing. Apparently the frizzle gene is dominant and about 50% of a frizzle's offspring should be frizzled. A smooth bird doesn't carry the gene at all. So that kind of makes sense... apparently I absorbed a bunch of mis-information somewhere. I have 6 of my frizzle's eggs in the incubator so I will be excited to see if any of them come out frizzled.

I made an outdoor coop for my original trio, one of whom has 5 chicks and there is a little shelf for a nest box and a roosting bar and I figured Anna would be on the floor with her chicks and Frizzle and roo would be on the roost but when I checked on them last night, all 8 of them were piled onto the little shelf. It was the sweetest thing ever, what an adorable little family.
love.gif
I tried to take a photo but all the chicks disappeared under then hens and all you could see was roo and frizzle on the top of the pile!

How was the swap?? I wish I could have gone! Did you get some eggs?

The Seramas were beautiful, especially all the frizzle roosters. I couldn't afford the pair I wanted so I just came home with 10 eggs. I love hatching them out anyway.

The Seramas were beautiful, especially all the frizzle roosters. I couldn't afford the pair I wanted so I just came home with 10 eggs. I love hatching them out anyway.
Ahh, I'm glad you came home with some eggs! I can't imagine spending so much money on adults when you can hatch them yourself, but I'm a pretty die hard DIYer. I hope your hatch goes well, but I am sure I will have extra roosters at some point, if needed. I've just been letting everyone grow up a bit to see what I have. I think I will probably have a couple coops... one with my frizzle hens and smooth roo and one with smooth feathered hens and hopefully a frizzled roo if I ever get one!

Lockdown on my single remaining egg from batch 2. Please make it! If I only hatch 1 out of 18 eggs I'm going to feel like a gigantic dweeb. The single hatcher from a week + 3 days ago is doing great, though! I cannot wrap my head around how sweet Serama are.

Oh so little and adorable!! I hope your last egg makes it!
fl.gif
That is not unusual for Serama eggs, especially shipped eggs, so don't feel bad! I have heard of people spending $300 and not hatching a single egg. I was lucky to find someone relatively close that had eggs and my Castle Delight eggs only shipped from an hour away. My broody hatched my first batch before I really had a clue what I was doing!! This incubating is a real trial and error affair... good luck!
Lockdown on my single remaining egg from batch 2. Please make it! If I only hatch 1 out of 18 eggs I'm going to feel like a gigantic dweeb. The single hatcher from a week + 3 days ago is doing great, though! I cannot wrap my head around how sweet Serama are.

I'm going to be hatching out a dozen shipped Serama eggs in the coming weeks. They are getting shipped out Wednesday. I know that the odds are NOT in my favor, but I wanted to try anyway.

Any tips from you all? Do you set shipped eggs pointy side down in an egg crate like you do with the standard size eggs?

Back
Top Bottom