Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
I sadly had a power outage the night before last. The incubator got pretty chilly before I was able to get it to another power source. We do not have any backup generators or heat sources. I'm unsure of the damage yet. I'm almost sure I lost them all, but I don't want to give up hope before I know for sure.

I sadly had a power outage the night before last. The incubator got pretty chilly before I was able to get it to another power source. We do not have any backup generators or heat sources. I'm unsure of the damage yet. I'm almost sure I lost them all, but I don't want to give up hope before I know for sure.

That sucks, but I wouldn't give up yet. Even if eggs cool off, they can still survive and are often just fine. Hens get off their nests daily and I have heard of a broody hen off her nest overnight and her eggs still hatched. Eggs loose heat much more slowly than the incubator also. Since they have had a day or so to warm up, you could candle them and see how they are doing.

This face is just killing me.... this chick isn't so grumpy looking in person. Its little face hasn't fluffed out yet. None of my other chicks made it, my winter hatching has really been a disaster, but this is the first chick from my birds that I hatched and is pretty special to me. I've never had a single chick before, this baby is still in the incubator and seems pretty chill. I had 2 eggs supposed to hatch in a week but one quit.
sad.png
I hope the other hatches so they can have company!

@darkbluespace . ...
...Have you given that grumpy looking chick of yours a name yet?

-kim-

Funny you should ask because I write words on all of my eggs. Words that represent things, feelings, etc. that I am wanting to "incubate" and bring into my life. This chick's egg was named Sparkle, akin to magic for me, so I felt really blessed that this chick survived my terrible hatch. It seemed like a great name till I saw its grumpy photo and had to laugh. If it turns out to be a roo I will call him Sparky, but hoping to have a hen named Sparkle. I am already attached because I spent a lot of time cheering this chick on since it didn't have any other chicks to encourage it.

That's a funny story and kind of a sad one at the same time. I'm sorry that you and she or he lost all of the others, but as you said, you've already become so attached to
the little bugger that in the long run, no matter what the sex. you'll always share a special bond that can never be broken. No matter how surly or sullen the little guy might get (don't know why I'm thinking rooster, but I am. Sorry !!!)
-kim-

P.S. I candled my eggs the other day and it looks to me like 8 out of the 12 I have remaining are developing !!! Into what, I'm not quite sure, as it was only day 7...lol !!!
But I could definitely see the air sac, blood vessels and something that sort of resembled a very small head of a Q-tip that I'm hoping will turn out to be the embryo.

OH MY GOODNESS !!!

It just now dawned on me why I thought your little chicken looked soooo familiar to me. Don't ask me why, but he totally reminds me of that grumpy, old, cigar smoking newspaper
publisher 'Shoe', who just happened to be a bird who starred in his own comic strip by the same name !!! Don't know if you know what I'm talking about or not, but just Google it and let me know what you think.

Later Days!

-kim-

That's a funny story and kind of a sad one at the same time. I'm sorry that you and she or he lost all of the others, but as you said, you've already become so attached to
the little bugger that in the long run, no matter what the sex. you'll always share a special bond that can never be broken. No matter how surly or sullen the little guy might get (don't know why I'm thinking rooster, but I am. Sorry !!!)
-kim-

P.S. I candled my eggs the other day and it looks to me like 8 out of the 12 I have remaining are developing !!! Into what, I'm not quite sure, as it was only day 7...lol !!!
But I could definitely see the air sac, blood vessels and something that sort of resembled a very small head of a Q-tip that I'm hoping will turn out to be the embryo.

I am thinking it's a rooster too, but slightly in denial. I think the girls have a more feminine look and I have noticed that even day old roos have a little more comb than girls but I don't have any other chicks to compare right now. He does look like a cartoon character, it's those eyes! When the birds he hatched from hatched, there was one that looked a lot like Sparky with face and eyes that were cartoon like and hilarious to me but I could never get a good close up photo of him.
It sounds like your eggs are doing wonderfully, that is great that at least 8 of them look like something! What a great start!
wee.gif

I will probably try some shipped eggs again sometime after I recover from my last two hatches. I had a system in the incubator that was really working for me and having eggs in cartons messed with that system of temp and humidity which affected moisture loss and hatch timing, but I hope to get back in my groove here soon!
smile.png

Well I started with 4 eyelets on Tuesday. I handled a hour ago and it looks like out of 4 eggs only 2 are developing the other 2 apparently are not fertile.
1f622.png
So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the remaining two develop and hatch and survive.

Back
Top Bottom